[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Opening drivers in an INIT ?

mm5l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Matthew Mashyna) (12/07/89)

I want to open the TCP drivers in an init so I can listen for finger
requests. But I can't open it until after the system is done booting. Is
there something I can do before I try to open it ?

Matt Mashyna
================
Macintosh Initiative,
H&SS Dean's Office,
Macoops Coordinator,
Podiatrist
and Metaphysician
Carnegie Mellon

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (12/08/89)

In article <IZTNDq200iLO0Dcltz@andrew.cmu.edu>, mm5l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Matthew
Mashyna) writes:
> I want to open the TCP drivers in an init so I can listen for finger
> requests. But I can't open it until after the system is done booting. Is
> there something I can do before I try to open it ?

Just off the top of my head, I'd start by simply naming your INIT something
like "MacTCP Finger" so that it get loaded after MacTCP does (since INITs
are loaded in alphabetical order).

If this doesn't work, you could write a little driver with the "needTime"
flag set, and have it just keep trying to open the .IPP driver until it
succeeds...

So, what's your finger server going to return?  Here's an example of what
ours does:

	$ finger @mermaid.intercon.com
	Machine Type: Macintosh II, 68020 processor
	System Version 6.0.4, AppleTalk Version 49
	TCP/Connect II Version 1.0b2 (12/6/89 6:01:43 PM)
	User name: Amanda
	Printer Driver: LaserWriter

Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation
--

jay@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Jay O'Conor) (12/08/89)

In article <1609@intercon.com> amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>In article <IZTNDq200iLO0Dcltz@andrew.cmu.edu>, mm5l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Matthew
>Mashyna) writes:
>> I want to open the TCP drivers in an init so I can listen for finger
>> requests. But I can't open it until after the system is done booting. Is
>> there something I can do before I try to open it ?
>
>Just off the top of my head, I'd start by simply naming your INIT something
>like "MacTCP Finger" so that it get loaded after MacTCP does (since INITs
>are loaded in alphabetical order).

But why code it as an INIT at all?
This could easily be handled as a MultiFinder faceless background task.
Now I know that many people will complain about not wanting to run
MultiFinder, but what will happen to these people when 7.0 comes out?
Yes, it will probably take some time for 7.0 to become the standard system
on most Macs out there, but I'd really like to see developers take better
advantage of the features of MultiFinder and newer system releases.  While
I am very strongly in favor of maintaining compatiblity with older machines
(down to a Mac Plus), why do people have to code for the lowest common
denominator in system software?  Apple has been working hard to supply new
functionality in system releases, but it is often a long time before this
turns into new functionality in applications.

Jay O'Conor
Unisys/Convergent

mm5l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Matthew Mashyna) (12/12/89)

and jay@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Jay O'Conor) replied:
> But why code it as an INIT at all?
> This could easily be handled as a MultiFinder faceless background task.
> Now I know that many people will complain about not wanting to run
> MultiFinder, but what will happen to these people when 7.0 comes out?
> Yes, it will probably take some time for 7.0 to become the standard system
> on most Macs out there, but I'd really like to see developers take better
> advantage of the features of MultiFinder and newer system releases.  While
> I am very strongly in favor of maintaining compatiblity with older machines
> (down to a Mac Plus), why do people have to code for the lowest common
> denominator in system software?  Apple has been working hard to supply new
> functionality in system releases, but it is often a long time before this
> turns into new functionality in applications.

Oh, gee this really helps me. Thanks for the flame. I forgot that every
secretary understands the Special->Set Startup->Opened Applications and
DAs menu. I'll explain to my boss "Gee I know it would be nice to just
drop a file into the system folder to do backups, but the right thing to
do is wait for 7.0, make sure everyone uses and has the capacity to run
multifinder and spend a lot of time on the phone trying to explain why
the application didn't come up after they rebooted their machines."

I don't appreciate this kind of antagonism. What I'd really like is some
constructive criticism and usefull information. Telling me that I'm
behind the times because I don't write all my software anticipating
system 7.0 doesn't do me any good at all.

And why do people have to code for the lowest common denominator in
system software? Because there is one. My job is to support users, not
dick them off because they can't afford a more expensive machine.

That's why!

Matt Mashyna
Macintosh Initiative,
H&SS Dean's Office,