[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Finder bug with ./ files?

nicky@cup.portal.com (nick john pilch) (12/10/89)

Nick Jackiw writes:

[regarding file names beginning with a period]

>The initial diagnosis of the problem is faulty, or at least not complete.
>Unfortunately, I don't know what the cause of the first poster's symptoms
>is myself.

I disagree. It is documented (Inside Mac I believe) that filenames beginning
with a period are not recommended. I believe it also says that programs
should prevent the user from doing this. MPW is the only one I know of so
far that does. Unfortunately, the Finder doesn't prevent it.

We just became aware of the potential problems recently and I plan to put
this check in our program immediately. I have had numerous problems and
bombs when trying to manipulate files whose names begin with a period.

Nick Pilch
Moutain Lake Software
nicky@cup.portal.com

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (12/12/89)

In article <24868@cup.portal.com> nicky@cup.portal.com (nick john pilch) writes:
>Nick Jackiw writes:
>
>[regarding file names beginning with a period]
>
>>The initial diagnosis of the problem is faulty, or at least not complete.
>>Unfortunately, I don't know what the cause of the first poster's symptoms
>>is myself.
>
>I disagree. It is documented (Inside Mac I believe) that filenames beginning
>with a period are not recommended. I believe it also says that programs
>should prevent the user from doing this. MPW is the only one I know of so
>far that does. Unfortunately, the Finder doesn't prevent it.
>
>We just became aware of the potential problems recently and I plan to put
>this check in our program immediately. I have had numerous problems and
>bombs when trying to manipulate files whose names begin with a period.

I ran into this too.  Certain calls work with .XXX files and others don't
(this was using MPW Pascal).  I "fixed" this by prepending a ":" to the
filename if the filename is < the maximum length for a filename.  This
seemed to fix things for me. (but still not for the filename of maximum
size starting with a period!)

 Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce