[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Communications Toolbox answers

time@oxtrap.oxtrap.UUCP (Tim Endres) (12/12/89)

In article <9222@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) writes:
   In article <37030@apple.Apple.COM> austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) writes:
   >However, by putting the code in the System file, we free up a FCB,
   >speed up the toolbox (how's 15500 cps throughput on a 19.2K line
   >during an XMODEM transfer!), and provide the best quality possible!

15500 cps on a 19.2K line sounds real good! Can I get a copy of that XMODEM? :)
And that extra FCB? You mean by avoiding opening an INIT?
Speed up the ToolBox?

And even if you are doing 1550 cps, this sounds a little high. I
have seen rates of 1450 cps ZMODEM on 19.2K lines, but I am sure this
could be improved. And certainly, if the XMODEM protocol is not
spoofed (ala Telebit) or the modem not "truely" full duplex at 19.2Kb,
I don't see how you could come close to 1500cps.

Quite frankly, I have been really confused about transfers at speeds
of 19.2K baud. Currently, I can not get our MacIIx running A/UX 1.1
with public domain "rx" (Thank you, Chuck), to swallow XMODEM fast enough
to keep up with 19.2Kb. In fact, on transfers of over 100K, the lag
between the two systems becomes so great that the XMODEM End Of File
times out before the A/UX can read the buffered data (boy there seems
to be a lot of buffering going on here).

What does this mean? Well, it means that I wish someone could tell me
how to get A/UX to handle these transfer rates. It also means that if
the CTB gets sluggish, it will be out of date before it is released.
9.6Kb is soon to be the common, and 19.2Kb the "not so uncommon" modems.

BTW: Why can't I get the 1K blocks option in XMODEM to work with "rx"?

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (12/13/89)

In article <TIME.89Dec11175641@oxtrap.oxtrap.UUCP> time@oxtrap.UUCP writes:
>In article <9222@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) writes:
>   In article <37030@apple.Apple.COM> austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) writes:
>   > ...
>   >However, by putting the code in the System file, we free up a FCB,
>   >speed up the toolbox (how's 15500 cps throughput on a 19.2K line
>   >during an XMODEM transfer!), and provide the best quality possible!
>   > ...
>
>15500 cps on a 19.2K line sounds real good! Can I get a copy of that XMODEM? :)
>And that extra FCB? You mean by avoiding opening an INIT?
>Speed up the ToolBox?

In timing the CTB over a serial line, the efficiency (as reported by White
Knight running on an SE/30 from a IIcx) at 19.2K was 83% (XMODEM, 1K blocks).
That computes out to 15936 baud (1593 cps).  That's not too bad, considering
the other way (from WK to CTB) reported, at best, 45% efficiency...
(no insult intended or desired -- I use WK).  To tell you the truth, I'm
amazed, myself.  That's also timing a rather large file (ResEdit 1.2), so the
figure should be fairly accurate.

Your times may vary depending upon the tools used.

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Have you ever danced with the devil in   |
| Communications Toolbox Hacker |  in the pale moonlight?" -The Joker       |
| Apple Computer, Inc.          | "You made me!" -Batman                    |
| AppleLink:  AUSTIN.GLENN      | All opinions stated above are mine --     |
| Bellnet:    (408) 974-0876    |                who else would want them?  |