[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Is the Mac 512 still a semi-viable system?

powers@jade.wbst128.xerox.com (Mike Powers (temp)) (12/07/89)

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to adopt a Mac 512 that currently is
sitting unused in a friends closet. The upgrade to a Plus isn't
worth the price since I can get a new Plus for close to the same
amount. (besides, the Plus will be in the same boat as the 512 after
system 7.0 arrives :)

Sooo...my question is, is the Mac 512 still semi-usable (eg. what's
the most recent release of the OS that it will run, MacWrite?, etc.).
Are there any bandaids that can be applied (such as memory enhancments)
that will help out?

Basically, I would like to make the machine usable as a graduate typewriter
replacement.

Mike Powers
(if the above address is flaky try powers.roch803@xerox.com)

alan@goofy.Apple.COM (Alan Mimms) (12/09/89)

In article <272@spot.wbst128.xerox.com>, powers@jade.wbst128.xerox.com
(Mike Powers (temp)) writes:
> ... besides, the Plus will be in the same boat as the 512 after
> system 7.0 arrives :)

This seems to be a popular misconception.  System 7.0 WILL RUN JUST
FINE on Macintoshes with >= 2MB of memory -- even the "lowly" MacPlus.
I own one of these machines and have no plans to sell it.  The ONLY
feature of System 7.0 that I know of that is new and will not work
on a MacPlus is the virtual memory feature.  This is NOT REQUIRED to
use System 7.0 (in fact, many people will not need to use it even
if it does work on their hardware since pagefaults slow things down
somewhat).

Please don't consider the MacPlus to be a DEAD machine -- it's not.

Alan Mimms                                      My opinions are generally
Communications Product Development Group        pretty worthless, but
Apple Computer                                  they *are* my own...
"The company has new jobs and Jobs has a new company" -- Harry Anderson

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (12/09/89)

I believe System 4.2 is the last system rated for the 64K ROM machines.
Everything that every ran on the Classic Fat Mac still runs on it, but
many development systems generate code that is assumes the 128K ROMs of
the 512KE, the Plus, and newer.  (The class library of the THINK C version
4 C compiler, for example, is full of calls to traps that aren't present
in System 4.2.)  It is frustrating for a programmer with friends with
unenhanced Macs, but the rationale is, anyone who does not care to invest
the ~$300.00 for the upgrade to 128K ROMs, and 800K, faster diskette
drives is unlikely to spend much on software.

You can still run MacWrite, Word, and many other programs on a classic fat
mac. You can often find software for it quite cheap. I know of at least 5
novels, currently in print, that were written in the last 3 years on a
classic fat  mac.

marti@ethz.UUCP (Robert Marti) (12/09/89)

In article <5690@internal.Apple.COM>, alan@goofy.Apple.COM (Alan Mimms) writes:
> [ ... ]  System 7.0 WILL RUN JUST FINE on Macintoshes with >= 2MB of
> memory -- even the "lowly" MacPlus.

I never doubted that.  I assume it even works well on Macintoshes
with >= 8MByte of main memory ;-)  The problem is that last time
I checked, my MacPlus had only 1MByte of main memory.

|=~ ON
Even if you tell me that System 7.0 will run in 1MByte, I won't be
convinced that the MacPlus isn't dead:  I doubt people will be happy
if all you can run on your machine is an operating system!  And with
the rate of frills added in previous new system/finder releases
(moving hands in clock, bulging trash can, information messages like
"updating desktop" etc), I doubt that 7.0 will even walk with less
than 4MByte.  At least you'll be in good company with Big Blue and
their OS/2.
|=~ OFF

--
Robert Marti                      Phone:      +41 1 256 52 36
Institut fur Informationssysteme

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (12/10/89)

In article <33126@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (David Phillip Oster) writes:
>I believe System 4.2 is the last system rated for the 64K ROM machines.

That should be System 3.2 (and Finder 5.3). Or 3.3/5.4 if you are running with
AppleShare.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

In article <2779@ethz.UUCP> marti@ethz.UUCP (Robert Marti) writes:
>In article <5690@internal.Apple.COM>, alan@goofy.Apple.COM (Alan Mimms) writes:
>> [ ... ]  System 7.0 WILL RUN JUST FINE on Macintoshes with >= 2MB of
>> memory -- even the "lowly" MacPlus.
>
>I never doubted that.  I assume it even works well on Macintoshes
>with >= 8MByte of main memory ;-)  The problem is that last time
>I checked, my MacPlus had only 1MByte of main memory.

But Mac Plus's can be upgraded to more than 1 megabyte of memory.

>|=~ ON
>Even if you tell me that System 7.0 will run in 1MByte, I won't be
>convinced that the MacPlus isn't dead:  I doubt people will be happy
>if all you can run on your machine is an operating system!  And with
>the rate of frills added in previous new system/finder releases
>(moving hands in clock, bulging trash can, information messages like
>"updating desktop" etc), I doubt that 7.0 will even walk with less
>than 4MByte.  At least you'll be in good company with Big Blue and
>their OS/2.
>|=~ OFF

OK, we'll stop adding features to our system software.

("Hey, guys? Can you stop what you're doing? Yeah, stop writing 7.0. Seems
that there's a guy out there who still has a 1 meg Mac, and he doesn't want us
to come out with 7.0.  Yeah, I know he can still run 6.0.x if he needs to, but
he still objects. So that's right, we're calling 7.0 off. And throw all your
sources in the trash while you're at it. That's it. Thanks!").

There...it's done. But all kidding aside, am curious as to what you think we
should do. Here is my way of thinking. Either we keep the system software the
way it is, or we enhance it. If we stay still, then we get beat up for not
doing anything to keep up with computer technology. So we enhance our software.
Now how do you expect us to do that without taking up more memory? All that
code we write has to go SOMEWHERE! Where do you propose we put it?

As for those frills you mention, those are very low impact items in terms of
memory, but are very nice for the user. Spinning the watch? Takes a few lines
of code, a few more cursor resources, and the result for the user is
tremendous. All told, probably about 100 bytes of code and 476 bytes of
PURGEABLE resources. Trash can? About 20 bytes of code, and an additional 256
bytes of resources that will reside only on disk; no memory impact at all, as
only one will be in memory at a time. Updating desktop? The string takes about
15 bytes of disk space, and has minimal impact to memory. Drawing it takes only
the code to get the resource and call DrawText. So...about 20 bytes? All told,
maybe about 150 bytes of extra code to add those "nice little touches" that
make the Macintosh have a good user interface. It is not features like these
that require one to add a megabyte of memory to their computers.

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (12/12/89)

In article <37168@apple.Apple.COM>, keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
> Either we keep the system software the
> way it is, or we enhance it. If we stay still, then we get beat up for not
> doing anything to keep up with computer technology. So we enhance our software.
> Now how do you expect us to do that without taking up more memory? All that
> code we write has to go SOMEWHERE!

Indeed.

I occasionally get the feeling that people want Apple & third party developers
to upgrade their products retroactively.  But surely no one could actually
be that dense ... especially not on the net ... :-).

Sigh.  I'm getting tired of the perennial whining of "I want the best and
I want it for free."  Look, Apple didn't marry you; they sold you a computer.
It's still a good computer.  The fact that Apple is making better computers
than they used to is a good thing, not evil profiteering.  The fact that
things like outline fonts, the line layout manager, and so on take up memory
and disk space is just one of the facts of life.  Like Keith says, they
do have to go somewhere, after all.

I'd rather have to upgrade a Mac Plus to 2 or 4 megs than to try and run
OS/2 on an IBM XT...

Grumph.

Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation
--

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (12/13/89)

In article <272@spot.wbst128.xerox.com> powers@jade.UUCP (Mike Powers) writes:
>I have the opportunity to adopt a Mac 512 that currently is
>sitting unused in a friends closet. The upgrade to a Plus isn't
>worth the price since I can get a new Plus for close to the same
>amount.

True of the Apple upgrade.  I've never understood why they seem to want
to discourage upgrading to a Plus.  Last time I checked, the price was
something like $900, which is only $100 less than the retail cost of a
new Plus after rebate.  However, if you already have a new ROM and
double-sided internal floppy drive, then you can get a cheap Mac Plus
equivalent upgrade from Dove Computer.  They are easy to install and
pretty reliable.  If you don't have new ROM and double-sided drive, you
need to get it; otherwise, the computer ain't worth the price of the
plastic.

>(besides, the Plus will be in the same boat as the 512 after
>system 7.0 arrives :)

Not so.  The Plus is the computer that made the Mac a going concern.
A large segment of the installed base is still Pluses, and it remains
a fairly strong seller.  No way Apple will be breaking it for at least
a few years.  I'd be surprised if it became unsupported before 1994.

>Sooo...my question is, is the Mac 512 still semi-usable (eg. what's
>the most recent release of the OS that it will run, MacWrite?, etc.).
>Are there any bandaids that can be applied (such as memory enhancments)
>that will help out?

See above note.  Dove upgrades are widely advertised from the magazine
mail-order houses, and you can call Dove to find out which one you need
to get.  Go for two megabytes and a SCSI port.

"The time is gone, the song is over.
 Thought I'd something more to say." - Roger Waters, Time

freek@fwi.uva.nl (Freek Wiedijk) (12/13/89)

In article <9271@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:
>Not so.  The Plus is the computer that made the Mac a going concern.
>A large segment of the installed base is still Pluses, and it remains
>a fairly strong seller.  No way Apple will be breaking it for at least
>a few years.

I know a way!  If Apple would produce a "Color Plus" it would replace
the Plus in no time (I think).  It would have to be close to a Plus in
price and functionality, just a 512 x 342 x 24 color screen (72 dpi)
instead of the 512 x 342 black-and-white screen.  One thing I'm not
sure of is: is it technologically feasible to put a color crt of this
quality for this price in the case of Plus?

Now, am I right or am I right?

--
Freek "the Pistol Major" Wiedijk                  Path: uunet!fwi.uva.nl!freek
#P:+/ = #+/P?*+/ = i<<*+/P?*+/ = +/i<<**P?*+/ = +/(i<<*P?)*+/ = +/+/(i<<*P?)**

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (12/14/89)

In article <2779@ethz.UUCP> marti@ethz.UUCP (Robert Marti) writes:
>In article <5690@internal.Apple.COM>, alan@goofy.Apple.COM (Alan Mimms) writes:
>> [ ... ]  System 7.0 WILL RUN JUST FINE on Macintoshes with >= 2MB of
>> memory -- even the "lowly" MacPlus.
>
>I never doubted that.  I assume it even works well on Macintoshes
>with >= 8MByte of main memory ;-)  The problem is that last time
>I checked, my MacPlus had only 1MByte of main memory.

That's your problem.  SIMMs are cheap; go out and buy a couple, and
System 7.0 will run just fine on your Plus.  Don't blame Apple just
because you haven't done a cheap upgrade.

>Even if you tell me that System 7.0 will run in 1MByte,

It won't.  But it is the work of a few minutes and a few marks to give
your Plus 2.5 megabytes.  A few marks more and you can have 4 megabytes.

FROM THE FOOL FILE:
"American women, especially some of those on the net, might profit by being
 less concerned with their careers and more concerned with getting a good,
 old fashioned roll in the hay."
	-- William J. Fallon, wjf@cbnews.att.com, on soc.women
	  (also uses the alias Walter J. Ficklestein)

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (12/15/89)

In article <285@fwi.uva.nl> freek@fwi.uva.nl (Freek Wiedijk) writes:
>I know a way!  If Apple would produce a "Color Plus" it would replace
>the Plus in no time (I think).

No, not really.  You have to look at the characteristics of the
installed base; it's not going to roll over just because something
better is available.  An awful lot of universities have Mac clusters
made up primarily of Mac Pluses; they simply can't afford to spend the
millions of dollars to replace them.  Likewise, in corporations,
high-level and technical personnel do tend to get new machines as they
become available, but the old machines stay in the company, going to
new hires and to established low-level employees who didn't have a
computer at all previously.  The Mac Plus is here to stay, at least for
a few years -- probably at least four or five years.  And quite
possibly longer.

>It would have to be close to a Plus in
>price and functionality, just a 512 x 342 x 24 color screen (72 dpi)
>instead of the 512 x 342 black-and-white screen.  One thing I'm not
>sure of is: is it technologically feasible to put a color crt of this
>quality for this price in the case of Plus?

But it still isn't cheaper than keeping the old Plus!  It will never be
cheaper to buy a new computer than to keep an old one, unless the old
one is obsolete.

>Now, am I right or am I right?

Er, is this a trick question?

"Genuinely skillful use of obscenities is uniformly absent on the Internet."
	-- Karl Kleinpaste on gnu.gcc

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (12/16/89)

In article <9298@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) writes:
> It will never be
> cheaper to buy a new computer than to keep an old one, unless the old
> one is obsolete.

Isn't this a truism?  And isn't the thrust of some of the argument that
the Plus is pretty darned close to being obsolete?

A large part of the answer to the question, I think, has to come from what
you mean by things like "viable" and "obsolete."  The Plus will always be
able to run System 6.x, and applications that will run in one megabyte or
less under System 6.x, so yeah, the Plus will be around for an
indeterminate amount of time equal to however long the users find that
combination (Plus, System 6.x, their favorite apps) useful.

As for how long Apple Computer, Inc. will continue to manufacture the Plus and continue upgrading its System Software, that's anybody's guess.

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that they
believe what I believe or vice-versa.
C++ -- The language in which only friends can access your private members.

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (12/16/89)

In article <5799@internal.Apple.COM> chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) writes:
>A large part of the answer to the question, I think, has to come from what
>you mean by things like "viable" and "obsolete."  The Plus will always be
>able to run System 6.x, and applications that will run in one megabyte or
>less under System 6.x, so yeah, the Plus will be around for an
>indeterminate amount of time equal to however long the users find that
>combination (Plus, System 6.x, their favorite apps) useful.
>
>As for how long Apple Computer, Inc. will continue to manufacture
>the Plus and continue upgrading its System Software, that's anybody's guess.

I was under the impression that the Plus would be able to run System
7.0 with 2 Mb installed.  I own a Plus.  Don't scare me like this, Paul!

In addition, at least one manufacturer makes a 68030 add-on board for
the Plus and claims full compatibility with System 7.0 virtual memory.
These boards are cheap.  A Plus with one installed and a math chip will
cost about half the price of an SE/30, especially if you use a Plus you
already have and figure in its present value rather than the cost of a
new box.  There isn't a whole lot of difference between such a Plus and
an SE/30, either, except for those 256k ROM calls that are not (yet)
implemented on a Plus.  You can put all the hardware you presently need
into a Plus, so Apple will continue to support the Plus for quite a
long time yet, assuming that the place is run by Nice People who are
grateful to the customers who put them where they are now.

I don't see any reason for the Plus to become obsolete for a while
yet.  In my opinion, what really separates a stock Plus from better
Macintoshes is the 68000.  When the Plus goes, the 68000 SE isn't too
far behind.

Earle R. Horton

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (12/16/89)

writes:
> >A large part of the answer to the question, I think, has to come from
what
> >you mean by things like "viable" and "obsolete."  The Plus will always
be
> >able to run System 6.x, and applications that will run in one megabyte
or
> >less under System 6.x, so yeah, the Plus will be around for an
> >indeterminate amount of time equal to however long the users find that
> >combination (Plus, System 6.x, their favorite apps) useful.
> >
> >As for how long Apple Computer, Inc. will continue to manufacture
> >the Plus and continue upgrading its System Software, that's anybody's
guess.

> I was under the impression that the Plus would be able to run System
> 7.0 with 2 Mb installed.  I own a Plus.  Don't scare me like this, Paul!

Sorry, Earl; I didn't mean to imply that the Plus would only run System
6.x; I was trying to point out that since a lot of users never upgrade
beyond a certain point, the Plus will be viable for them for quite some
time.

(Earle R. Horton) writes:
> In addition, at least one manufacturer makes a 68030 add-on board for
> the Plus and claims full compatibility with System 7.0 virtual memory.
> These boards are cheap.  A Plus with one installed and a math chip will
> cost about half the price of an SE/30, especially if you use a Plus you
> already have and figure in its present value rather than the cost of a
> new box.  There isn't a whole lot of difference between such a Plus and
> an SE/30, either, except for those 256k ROM calls that are not (yet)
> implemented on a Plus.  You can put all the hardware you presently need
> into a Plus, so Apple will continue to support the Plus for quite a
> long time yet, assuming that the place is run by Nice People who are
> grateful to the customers who put them where they are now.

Cool, but what you get when you do this is no longer a Macintosh
Plus--it's some mutation of one.  And the SE/30 is a heckuva lot closer to
a IIcx than it is to a Plus.  And you may be right about us continuing to
support the vanilla Plus, but you never can tell for sure.

(Earle R. Horton) writes:
> I don't see any reason for the Plus to become obsolete for a while
> yet.  In my opinion, what really separates a stock Plus from better
> Macintoshes is the 68000.  When the Plus goes, the 68000 SE isn't too
> far behind.

Good point.

dricejb@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson drilex1) (12/17/89)

In article <5799@internal.Apple.COM> chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) writes:
>In article <9298@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) writes:
>> It will never be
>> cheaper to buy a new computer than to keep an old one, unless the old
>> one is obsolete.
>
>Isn't this a truism?  And isn't the thrust of some of the argument that
>the Plus is pretty darned close to being obsolete?
>
>A large part of the answer to the question, I think, has to come from what
>you mean by things like "viable" and "obsolete."  The Plus will always be
>able to run System 6.x, and applications that will run in one megabyte or
>less under System 6.x, so yeah, the Plus will be around for an
>indeterminate amount of time equal to however long the users find that
>combination (Plus, System 6.x, their favorite apps) useful.

Those that bash the Plus, and keep saying "Why don't you buy a IIci?",
are forgetting a couple of things:

1. Few companies treat any item which costs more than $1000 as a throw-away.
Expensive items such as computers are capitalized, and paid for internally
over several years.  Until the advent of personal computers, the shortest
common period of depreciation was five years.  Which meant that if you
junked it after three, you'd still be paying for it for two more years.

Modern corporations have changed their rules, and now depreciate personal
computers over three years.  However, if we purchased a Mac Plus at our
company for $1200 last July, there would still be $200 of depreciation
charged in 1992.

2. Rarely does anything really get thrown away.  We've still got some 64k
motherboard IBM PCs; they were taken out of service recently because they
died, not because they were obsolete.

3. The most important issue is: Although there are no Mac clones, Apple
still must compete on price.  There are many people at my company today who
say, "With Windows and OS/2, can't a PC do everything in the world of
graphics that a Mac can?"  To which my reply has always been: "Yes, but
Windows and OS/2 require a vitamin-packed PC on steroids.  The Mac Plus
can run Pagemaker just fine."  If there is no low-end Mac, or the low-end
Mac is obsoleted quickly, you lose that argument.

--
Craig Jackson
dricejb@drilex.dri.mgh.com