[comp.sys.mac.programmer] File Mgr inconsistancies

6500stom@hub.UUCP (12/17/89)

From article <9311@hoptoad.uucp>, by tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney):
> In article <7463@hubcap.clemson.edu> mikeoro@hubcap.clemson.edu
> (Michael K O'Rourke) writes:
>>Does anyone know how to get a drive number from a volume reference number?
>
> PBHGetVInfo returns the drive number in the field ioVDrvInfo.
> --
> Tim Maroney, Mac Software Consultant, sun!hoptoad!tim, tim@toad.com

That's all jolly good but what are drive numbers?  Is a drive number
the same as the volume index number that you can use in PBHGetVInfo?
Also, what is a "pathRefNum" (IV-107) in GetVRefNum?  Is that a file
reference?  What can't they keep things simple?

/            Josh Pritikin             T Ignorance is bliss.           \
| Mail:      6500stom@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu | I must be in hell.            |
| AppleLink: Josh.P                    | My room is proof that entropy |

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (12/18/89)

From article <9311@hoptoad.uucp>, by tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney):

In article <3345@hub.UUCP> 6500stom@hub.UUCP writes:
>That's all jolly good but what are drive numbers?  Is a drive number
>the same as the volume index number that you can use in PBHGetVInfo?

A drive number identifies a disk drive connected to the Mac.  There is
a system data structure known as the drive queue which keeps track of
various things about the drives, like whether they are ejectable and
whether they currently have a disk in them.  There's no direct
reference to the volume index, which has more to do with what order
volumes are mounted in (and so, where they appear in the volume control
block queue).

>Also, what is a "pathRefNum" (IV-107) in GetVRefNum?  Is that a file
>reference?  What can't they keep things simple?

Yes, it's the same as a reference number that you get from PBOpen etc.
Note that the same syntax ("path reference number") is used in the
other high-level File Manager call descriptions, such as FSOpen.

These are not my opinions, those of my ex-employers, my old schools, my
relatives, my friends, or really any rational person whatsoever.