[comp.sys.mac.programmer] "The Debugger"

ml10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael A. Libes) (12/15/89)

I am currently using MacsBugs as my low-level debugger (due to its
price), and was wondering if The Debugger & MacNosy is worth its price.

I have seen "discipline" testing on TMON and would really like to use it
on my programs.  I would buy TMON, but I don't like its interface at
all!  I much prefer the CLI on MacsBugs to jumping from keyboard to
mouse to keyboard in TMON.

I progam mainly in THINK C 4.0, without all the oops, but the built in
Debugger is too high level at times.

        - Luni
          (ml10@andrew.cmu.edu)

tom@visix.UUCP (Tom Carstensen) (12/16/89)

The Debugger is worth more than its price tag.  It puts TMON and MacBugs
to shame.  I would not hesitate one second to put my $$ down for a copy.

No other debugger has the power to do a combination of source level and
assembly level debugging at the same time, and the interface follows the
Mac guidelines, unlike TMON and Macbugs, which come from depths of hell.

I you'd like more info, email me a message - or look at on old (2 yrs)
copy of MacWeek for a review.

Tom Carstensen

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (12/18/89)

tom@visix.UUCP (Tom Carstensen) writes:
x> The Debugger is worth more than its price tag.  It puts TMON and MacBugs
x> to shame.  I would not hesitate one second to put my $$ down for a copy.
x> No other debugger has the power to do a combination of source level and
x> assembly level debugging at the same time, and the interface follows the
x> Mac guidelines, unlike TMON and Macbugs, which come from depths of hell.

On the other hand, the documentation is some of the worst in the business.

--
     _  _|\____    Nick Jackiw | Visual Geometry Project | Math Department
   / /_/   O>  \   ------------+-------------------------+ Swarthmore College
    \_Guernica_/   ------------+-------------------------+                 USA

wdh@well.UUCP (Bill Hofmann) (12/18/89)

In article <oZW6r2y00Uh_43H4tG@andrew.cmu.edu> ml10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael A. Libes) writes:
>I am currently using MacsBugs as my low-level debugger (due to its
>price), and was wondering if The Debugger & MacNosy is worth its price.

It is for me, but I do this stuff for a living, and have the patience to
deal with a rather painful learning curve.  For my money, it's the most
versatile source/assembly level debugger available on the market.  Alas,
it's not nearly as robust as Macsbug.  It allows (usually, anyway) source
level debugging, *and* a view of the assembler code generated, as well as
all the registers, plus stack frame, and stepping into ROM and other obscure
places.  It's sort of half way inbetween Think C Debugger (easy to use,
frustratingly incomplete) and Macsbug (low-level, aggravating to use for
complex tasks).

-Bill Hofmann

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (12/19/89)

In article <ZZFBSZZ@cs.swarthmore.edu> jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw)
writes:
>On the other hand, the documentation is some of the worst in the business.

Nothing new for Jasik.  I still haven't figured out how MacNosy is
supposed to work.  The documentation seemed to have been written by an
Albanian midget coming down off a bender.

"Gorbachev is returning to the heritage of the great Lenin" - Ronald Reagan

doner@engrhub.ucsb.edu (John Doner) (12/21/89)

In article <9333@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:
>Nothing new for Jasik.  I still haven't figured out how MacNosy is
>supposed to work.  The documentation seemed to have been written by an
>Albanian midget coming down off a bender.

I learned to use MacNosy in the days before it had a decent user
interface (didn't know this one was 'decent', did you?); when all
there was was "tty mode".  The documentation was more or less hopeless
then too.  You had to pretend you were using a glass tty to a
mainframe, and try to guess what the commands meant.  Actually, this
turned out surpriswell.  The fact is, MacNosy let you do what you
needed to do when you needed to do it.  Isn't that the bottom line for
user interfaces?

John Doner