[comp.sys.mac.programmer] PIT type?

sonenbli@oxy.edu (Andrew D. Sonenblick) (12/20/89)

I recently downloaded a RamDisk and was confronted with an UnBinHexed file
of type 'PIT ' instead of 'SIT!' which I have come to expect.  What appli-
cation is it that converts such a type and where can I get it?	While I'm
asking questions, why do YOU think Switcher never caught on like MF? (My
friends and I have been debating this one: it's fun!)  Ando Moon.

rsfinn@Athena.MIT.EDU (Russell S. Finn) (12/21/89)

In article <67260@tiger.oxy.edu>, sonenbli@oxy.edu (Andrew D.
Sonenblick) writes:
> I recently downloaded a RamDisk and was confronted with an UnBinHexed file
> of type 'PIT ' instead of 'SIT!' which I have come to expect.  What appli-
> cation is it that converts such a type and where can I get it?

The application is Harry Chesley's PackIt, the predecessor to StuffIt.  I don't
know if you can still find PackIt around, as StuffIt has supplanted it pretty
thoroughly; you don't have to, though, because StuffIt will unpack PackIt files
as well.  Check the first item in the right-hand menu.  (Note also that because
the PackIt file format is not as elaborate as StuffIt's, you won't get the same
interface you're used to, either; basically, you have to scan each file to get
to the next one, whether you're actually saving it to disk or not.  Just read
the buttons carefully, and be patient.)

-- Russ