[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Getting AppleShare folder rights?

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (12/21/89)

Has anyone figured out how to programmatically query an AppleShare server
for the access rights to a given folder? I can ascertain that a volume is
a server volume by using PBHGetVolParms (Inside Mac V-392), but after that,
it is not so simple; the documentation describes a field of the CInfoPBRec
(IM V-391) which does not exist, at least not in the MPW 3.0 Pascal interfaces,
but a field of the same name and size DOES exist in the HParamBlockRec
structure. However, if I call PBHGetDirAccess, this field (ioACUser) is
always zero, even on folders which aren't owned by me or which are write-
protected. Also, the bit pattern of the ioACAccess field (IM V-389) does
not seem to correspond with reality.

The fact that Inside Mac contains a number of egregious errors (references
to fields which don't exist, for example) doesn't clarify the situation
for me, to say the least.

If someone with experience in this area could post some summary information
I would very much appreciate it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"When someone who makes four hundred and fifty dollars an hour wants to
tell you something for free, it's a good idea to listen."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (12/21/89)

In article <3465@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) writes:
>Has anyone figured out how to programmatically query an AppleShare server
>for the access rights to a given folder? I can ascertain that a volume is
>a server volume by using PBHGetVolParms (Inside Mac V-392), but after that,
>it is not so simple; the documentation describes a field of the CInfoPBRec
>(IM V-391) which does not exist, at least not in the MPW 3.0 Pascal interfaces,

It *should* be in MPW 3.0! I've got it in {PInterfaces}Files.p. Please check
again. If anyone else out there is missing this, please let me know, and I'll
post the record for youse.

I'm afraid I can't help with the ioACAccess field. It's not my type.

>"When someone who makes four hundred and fifty dollars an hour wants to
>tell you something for free, it's a good idea to listen."

Great movie! "War of the Roses" folks. Check it out. Take an old boy/girlfriend.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions