[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Stuffit! format wanted

matthews@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jim Matthews) (12/23/89)

Is the Stuffit! file format (as of version 1.5.1) publicly available?
If not, has anyone gone to the trouble to reverse-engineer it?  My
understanding is that unsit doesn't handle the nested directories added
in version 1.5.

Jim Matthews
Dartmouth Software Development

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (12/24/89)

In article <18019@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> matthews@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
(Jim Matthews) writes:
>Is the Stuffit! file format (as of version 1.5.1) publicly available?
>If not, has anyone gone to the trouble to reverse-engineer it?  My
>understanding is that unsit doesn't handle the nested directories added
>in version 1.5.

The documentation to ArcMac claims that StuffIt uses the ARC format.
This appears to be false, however; I just tried to use ArcMac on a
StuffIt archive and it failed badly.  Still, maybe there are
similarities.

I admit that the real reason I posted this was not to answer your question,
but to give me an excuse to bitch about ArcMac, which has now succeeded
MacNosy as the most unpleasant program ever created for the Mac.  Has
anyone else used this thing?  (I'm not talking about LaPorte's, which
had an OK interface but choked on many legal ARC files, but about Don
Gilbert's ArcMac.)  It deliberately uses a DOS interface!  What's more,
and window has neither "more" nor a scroll bar!  All commands have to
be memorized and typed.  He could at least have made it an MPW tool
with a Commando interface, but noooo.  Here's a section of the manual:

      ArcMac runs in a subset of the Martian Operating System, named
      for the reason that it is an obvious alien to the Macintosh
      graphic & mouse Finder system.  MOS (pronounced as "moss") is a
      keyboard and text based operating system that is patterned
      closely after Microsoft's MS-DOS (which in turn was patterned
      after CPM and numerous mainframe operating systems).  Though
      alien to the Macintosh, it is a familiar system to many computer
      users.

      The choice of MOS for running ArcMac is purposeful, not
      mischievious.  The reason for producing and releasing ArcMac is
      twofold, (1) to provide compatibility with the excellent MS-DOS
      standard file archivers, and (2) to provide an effective and
      efficient user - operating system interface for such file
      handling utilities.

      The current Macintosh file archivers, Packit and Stuffit, are
      both "good Macintosh" programs, in that they follow guidelines
      that Apple has established for user interfaces.  But they are not
      efficient to use as file archivers, not because of a failing the [sic]
      in the algorithms used (Stuffit and ArcMac are based on the same
      ARC standard), but because the Macintosh Finder interface doesn't
      provide a proper platform.  Telling an application to operate on
      multiple files, in various subdirectories (folders), in a simple
      and quick way is not easy for Finder-based programs.  You
      generally have to wade through several dialogs, windows and
      whatnot, carefully pointing and clicking all the way.  There is
      also no way to do batch operations, that is, process a large
      number of commands written in a file.  Nor is there any easy way to
      redirect input or output.

      With a command line operating system that recognizes subdirectory
      path specifications and file wild cards, you can specify a group
      of files to process in a few keystrokes.  Granted that command
      line operations are not as self evident as other forms...you
      require some learning time.  But after the learning period is
      over, it is much faster to use.  Thus, ArcMac seems designed only
      for those who use it repeatedly and are willing to learn its
      operation.

I know none of us are all that happy with Apple lawsuits, but it would be
great if they could sue this kind of turkey.  (Half-smiley-face.)

"And did you ever stop to think that Tim may be doing something right by being
 so controversial?  I mean, he may be an asshole but at least he's an
 intelligent asshole.  I do have to admit his articles tend to entertain me,
 although I kill the resulting flame wars." -- maxc1142@ucselx.sdsu.edu