[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Funny thing happened after the crash...

stores@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (01/05/90)

A friend had a strange thing happen to his SE after a system
crash. The format disk icon, the icon that shows a Mac with
an arrow pointing to the slot where the disk is, now shows
up on the desktop when ever he inserts a disk. The funny thing
is that the arrow points to the correct slot! If he puts
two disks in, two Mac icons show up with the arrows pointing
to the correct disk slots. Does anyone know what is going on?
This would be a pretty neat hack. It was my understanding
that those icons are hard coded somewhere in one of the PACK's.

Matthew Mora
SRI International                       stores@unix.sri.com

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (01/05/90)

In article <7567@unix.SRI.COM> stores@sri-unix.sri.com (Matt Mora) writes:
>A friend had a strange thing happen to his SE after a system
>crash. The format disk icon, the icon that shows a Mac with
>an arrow pointing to the slot where the disk is, now shows
>up on the desktop when ever he inserts a disk. The funny thing
>is that the arrow points to the correct slot! If he puts
>two disks in, two Mac icons show up with the arrows pointing
>to the correct disk slots. Does anyone know what is going on?

It sounds as though the Use Physical Icon bit in the Finder's LAYO 128
resource is turned on. If this bit is set, floppy disks are displayed
with an icon that points to their physical location rather than with
the generic Sony driver "disk" icon.
--
 jdevoto@apple.com  |  You may not distribute this article under a