[comp.sys.mac.programmer] help with a hypercard xfcn

dcc@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Daniel Carr) (01/06/90)

i'm writing an xfcn for hypercard in which i pass it the name of a
field.  i then perform changes on that field and return the changed
field back to hypercard.  i can get it work ok, but i'd like to make it
more versatile.  right now i pass it the name of the field, but i'd like
to be able to pass the name, the number, the id number.  is there an
easy way to do this, outside of parsing up the string to see exactly
what the user is passing as the name of the field?  (i'm using the
"glue" files with think pascal 2.0x)

basically, i'm wondering if i have to write a big text parsing procedure
to see if the name, number, id number is passed, so i can use the proper
procedure to get a handle to it.

and also is there an easy way to see if a card/background field is being
passed, outside of doing text parsing (string comparison)

thanks for any help

daniel carr

dcc@ccvr1.ncsu.edu      daniel@ncsuvm.BITNET    d.c.carr, GEnie

beard@ux1.lbl.gov (Patrick C Beard) (01/06/90)

In article <1990Jan5.181928.15462@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> dcc@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Daniel Carr) writes:

>i'm writing an xfcn for hypercard in which i pass it the name of a
>field.  i then perform changes on that field and return the changed
>field back to hypercard.  i can get it work ok, but i'd like to make it
>more versatile.  right now i pass it the name of the field, but i'd like
>to be able to pass the name, the number, the id number.  is there an
>easy way to do this, outside of parsing up the string to see exactly
>what the user is passing as the name of the field?  (i'm using the
>"glue" files with think pascal 2.0x)

Instead of passing the name/id/number of the field, why don't you just
pass the contents of the field to the XFCN?  I.e.:

	on mouseUp
		put card field "some name or id reference goes here" into parameter
		myXFCN parameter
		put the result into card field "some name or id reference goes here"
	end mouseUp

This will keep your XFCN simple.  I don't see why you'd want to make it
more complicated than this, what flexibility are you gaining?

-  Patrick Beard, Macintosh Programmer                        (beard@lbl.gov) -
-  Berkeley Systems, Inc.  ".......<dead air>.......Good day!" - Paul Harvey  -