[comp.sys.mac.programmer] How do you get an SICN from an ICON/ICN# Resource?

ceg@edsdrd.eds.com (Carlos Galarce) (01/06/90)

Hello fellow netters,

When editing ICN# resources using the Resource Editor(v1.2), the
editor shows a picture of the ICN in its SICN form in under the
fatbits area.

Is there a way to cut an ICN and paste it as SICN using the Resource Editor?
Are there any utilities that let you do this?

If it is not possible, does anybody know an algorithm to "shrink" the
32x32 icon bits into a 16x16 small icon bits.  ResEd does it, so there
must be one.

I'd really appreciatte any help in this shrinking matter :-)

Carlos
--
"Individuals have opinions, companies press releases"
Carlos E. Galarce                 USENET:  ...!uunet!edsews!edsdrd!ceg

cshotton@buster.irby.com (Chuck Shotton) (01/08/90)

ceg@edsdrd.eds.com (Carlos Galarce) writes:

>Hello fellow netters,

>When editing ICN# resources using the Resource Editor(v1.2), the
>editor shows a picture of the ICN in its SICN form in under the
>fatbits area.

>If it is not possible, does anybody know an algorithm to "shrink" the
>32x32 icon bits into a 16x16 small icon bits.  ResEd does it, so there
>must be one.

Plot the full-sized ICON to an off-screen bitmap, then use CopyBits with a
16x16 destination Rect to display the bitmap on the screen. Voila! 16x16
version of the ICON, courtesy of CopyBits.

lai@Apple.COM (Ed Lai) (01/08/90)

In article <132@merrimac.edsdrd.eds.com> ceg@edsdrd.eds.com (Carlos Galarce) writes:

>Is there a way to cut an ICN and paste it as SICN using the Resource Editor?
>Are there any utilities that let you do this?

Get the Clipboard Magician DA from SUMEX. Actually it is a two step process,
from ICON to PICT and then from PICT to SICN, and I am not completely sure if
the latter CNVT code resource is in version 0.55 that is in SUMEX. If not, you
can get it from me.

/* Disclaimer: All statments and opinions expressed are my own */
/* Edmund K. Lai                                               */
/* Apple Computer, MS75-6J                                     */
/* 20525 Mariani Ave,                                          */
/* Cupertino, CA 95014                                         */
/* (408)974-6272                                               */
zW@h9cOi

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (01/08/90)

In article <37667@apple.Apple.COM> lai@Apple.COM (Ed Lai) writes:
>Get the Clipboard Magician DA from SUMEX.
Or, you can skip the Clipboard Magician and just use ResEdit. Consider:

In ResEdit's ICON bitmap editor, <Shift>-mouse-drag to sweep out a
rectangle. Choose "Copy" from the Edit menu.  This copies the bits as a
PICT onto the clipboard.

Create a SICN using ResEdit's "New" command. In its bitmap editor,
<Shift>-mouse drag to sweep out a rectangle. Choose "Paste" from the edit
menu. This copies the clipboard PICT as bits into the destination
rectangle.

The system will happily shrink or stretch the rectangles if the source and
dest aren't the same size.

The System 7 preliminary documentation said that if a program has a SICN
with the same ID# as its ICN#, then the new Finder will use the SICN
instead of shrinking the ICN# when it wants to display small icons. There
are also complex rules for 4-bit & 8-bit deep color icons (not quite
cicns.) and 4-bit & 8-bit deep color small icons.

You have to use the standard color tables, because the Finder will use one
table for all its color icons.

If you are going to be doing a lot of this stuff, it is nice to have a
tool.

--- David Phillip Oster            --  No, I come from Boston. I just work
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --  in cyberspace.
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (01/09/90)

From article <132@merrimac.edsdrd.eds.com>, by ceg@edsdrd.eds.com (Carlos Galarce):
> Hello fellow netters,
>
> When editing ICN# resources using the Resource Editor(v1.2), the
> editor shows a picture of the ICN in its SICN form in under the
> fatbits area.
>
> Is there a way to cut an ICN and paste it as SICN using the Resource Editor?
> Are there any utilities that let you do this?

SicnEdit

ftp indri.primate.wisc.edu, in ~ftp/pub/mac/SicnEdit.Hqx.