[comp.sys.mac.programmer] To all users of ThinkC and MultiFinder...

u-atgoat%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Alan T Goates) (01/09/90)

  Don't you hate it when you have Think C already running, and you try to
double click a project from the Finder. No dice, MultiFinder gives you an
error message. Well, I got to poking aroung a bit and fixed this problem.
Here's how:

  First, turn MultiFinder off and re-boot (if MF is on).
  Then run ResEdit and open up MultiFinder.
  Open up the 'mst#' resources.
  Create a new one, and give it ID #102
  Open it up as a 'STR#' type.
  Add the two strings "File" and "Project".
  Open up 'mst#' ID 101 as a 'STR#'.
  Add the string "Open Project..."
        make sure the the ... is just one character (option-semi-colon).
  Now go into the 'mstr' type and delete ID #102.
  Save and re-boot with MultiFinder on.

That's it. Have Fun.

AL

goldman@apple.com (Phil Goldman) (01/09/90)

In article <1990Jan8.162111.3684@hellgate.utah.edu>
u-atgoat%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Alan T Goates) writes:
>   Don't you hate it when you have Think C already running, and you try to
> double click a project from the Finder. No dice, MultiFinder gives you an
> error message. Well, I got to poking aroung a bit and fixed this problem.
> Here's how:
>
>   First, turn MultiFinder off and re-boot (if MF is on).
>   Then run ResEdit and open up MultiFinder.
>   Open up the 'mst#' resources.
>   Create a new one, and give it ID #102
>   Open it up as a 'STR#' type.
>   Add the two strings "File" and "Project".
>   Open up 'mst#' ID 101 as a 'STR#'.
>   Add the string "Open Project..."
>         make sure the the ... is just one character (option-semi-colon).
>   Now go into the 'mstr' type and delete ID #102.
>   Save and re-boot with MultiFinder on.

Actually, it's easier and safer to stick these resources in ThinkC itself,
instead of MultiFinder.  The instructions above are correct w/ ThinkC
instead of MF, I believe.  If these resources don't already exist in ThinkC
(I don't know) then you should create them as 'STR#' , etc.

-Phil Goldman
Apple Computer

dan@lclark.UUCP (Dan Revel) (01/10/90)

In article <6077@internal.Apple.COM> goldman@apple.com (Phil Goldman) writes:
>In article <1990Jan8.162111.3684@hellgate.utah.edu>
>u-atgoat%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Alan T Goates) writes:
>>   Don't you hate it when you have Think C already running, and you try to
>> double click a project from the Finder. No dice, MultiFinder gives you an
>> error message. Well, I got to poking aroung a bit and fixed this problem.
>> Here's how:
summarized (ed.):
#   turn MultiFinder off, then run ResEdit and open up MultiFinder.
#   Open up the 'mst#' resources.  Create a new one, and give it ID #102
#   Open it up as a 'STR#' type. Add the two strings "File" and "Project".
#   Open up 'mst#' ID 101 as a 'STR#'.
#   Add the string "Open Project..." the ... is (option-semi-colon).
#   Now go into the 'mstr' type and delete ID #102.
#   Save and re-boot with MultiFinder on.

>Actually, it's easier and safer to stick these resources in ThinkC itself,
>instead of MultiFinder.  The instructions above are correct w/ ThinkC
>instead of MF, I believe.  If these resources don't already exist in ThinkC
>(I don't know) then you should create them as 'STR#' , etc.

OK, I tried the above sequence on ThinkC, except there were no 'mstr'
resources to delete, no dice :-)  I stil can't open a project from the
finder if ThinkC is already running.

I did find 'MENU' resources ID#s 101 and 102 which seemed to have some
multifinder related information in them but I was hesitant to stomp on
them without knowing what they are there for.  Anyone care to
enlighten me?  Otherwise, where do I look if I want to read about it?
--
dan@lclark
tektronix!reed!lclark!dan			Dylsexics untie! (-|

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (01/10/90)

In article <1990Jan8.162111.3684@hellgate.utah.edu>, u-atgoat%ug (Alan T Goates) writes:

>  Don't you hate it when you have Think C already running, and you try to
>double click a project from the Finder. No dice, MultiFinder gives you an
>error message. Well, I got to poking aroung a bit and fixed this problem.
>Here's how:

I find it's more useful to be able to double-click text files from
within MultiFinder than projects (i.e. conventional "Open..."). Your
mod. will presumably break this.

		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick

u-atgoat%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Alan T Goates) (01/11/90)

  This modification does NOT break the text file opening mechanism. If a
project is already open, then the "Open..." option in the file menu will be
available, and double-clicking a text file will use that. If the project is
closed, the "Open..." in the file menu will be dimmed, so double-clicking a
project will fall through to the "Open Project..." option in the project
menu, which is not dimmed. This hack is an addition, not a replacement.

  AL