[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Simple assembler

philip@Kermit.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (01/10/90)

Does anyone have recommendations for a good but reasonably simple
assembler for the Mac (i.e., without requiring the kind of overhead
needed for MPW)?

ephraim@leander.think.com (Ephraim Vishniac) (01/10/90)

In article <1990Jan9.185525.19731@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@Kermit.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes:

>Does anyone have recommendations for a good but reasonably simple
>assembler for the Mac (i.e., without requiring the kind of overhead
>needed for MPW)?

(I tried to mail this, but the mailer went berserk, looping among
pescadero, mickey, and kermit.stanford.edu.)

Two possibilities:

1. THINK C.  Yes, it's a C compiler, but just say asm { } and it's
a decent assembler.  $149 at MacConnection.

2. MDS.  Old and crufty, but it still works.  (Sort of.  I'm using
2.0, which is a bit outdated, and it doesn't get along well with
Multifinder.  It even dies occasionally without it, but not so often
that I care much.) Used to be sold by Apple, then APDA, now back home
with Consulair.  About $80, if I remember right.  I'm not sure where
you can find it except direct from Consulair.

Ephraim Vishniac    ephraim@think.com   ThinkingCorp@applelink.apple.com
 Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142
        One of the flaws in the anarchic bopper society was
        the ease with which such crazed rumors could spread.

rfl@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Bob Loewenstein) (01/11/90)

There is still MacAsm from Mainstay. I think it's <$100..a very
FAST (ram based) macro assembler.

ews00461@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (01/11/90)

I have seen and used (a little)_
looked pretty good.  But the version I saw was relatively old.

Can anyone comment on McAssembly and/or its current status ?

Eric W Sink
e-sink@uiuc.edu