[comp.sys.mac.programmer] An enhanced list manager...

jherr@umbio.miami.edu (Jack Herrington) (01/18/90)

Recently I got really tired of hacking around Apple's list manager with LDEF's
and clikLoops and such so I took to re-writing my own version of it.  The
new version that I created has such niceties as row and column sizes for
every row and column, text size, font and face for every cell.  Frameing
for the entire list and cell by cell.  Assigning handlers to every cell so
that you have multiple LDEFs, and some other niceties.  I really would like
to release it totally free but I don't want apple all over my ass for doing
it.  I want to release the source along with it too.  Which I have the
feeling might be a big no-no.  What to do?

Thanx in advance.

-Jack

P.S.	We really ought to create a library of source modifications of
	Apple's stuff.
--
"I was a Jew once myself..."
							-Hunter S. Thompson

nf0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Norman William Franke, III) (01/18/90)

I would encourage you to realease it and the source code as free. I
really doubt that Apple would even care, unless you disassembled their
code and used large portions of it. Other people have rewritten the
WDEFs to make them next like, and add other features. So, please
realease it. A good place to send it, would be to comp.binaries.mac,
comp.sources.mac and the info-mac archives.

Norman Franke
nf0i+@andrew.cmu.edu

time@oxtrap.aa.ox.com (Tim Endres) (01/19/90)

In article <1493@umigw.MIAMI.EDU> jherr@umbio.miami.edu (Jack Herrington) writes:

   Recently I got really tired of hacking around Apple's list manager with LDEF's
   and clikLoops and such so I took to re-writing my own version of it.
   I really would like to release it totally free but I don't want
   apple all over my ass for doing it.  I want to release the source
   along with it too.  Which I have the feeling might be a big no-no.

Release the code and forget what Apple thinks.

They have no claim over your "original" work in any way shape or form.
Further, if they wish to persue copyright, patent, or "look-and-feel"
infringement, you have to have something worth coming after. Free
software does not generate much revenue to sue for.

And people wonder why the FSF bitches about Apple.

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (01/19/90)

In article <TIME.90Jan18173708@oxtrap.aa.ox.com>, time@oxtrap.aa.ox.com (Tim Endres) writes...

>In article <1493@umigw.MIAMI.EDU> jherr@umbio.miami.edu (Jack Herrington) writes:

[has written his own version of the list manager and is worried about Apple's]
[reaction]

>Release the code and forget what Apple thinks.
>
>They have no claim over your "original" work in any way shape or form.
>Further, if they wish to persue copyright, patent, or "look-and-feel"
>infringement, you have to have something worth coming after. Free
>software does not generate much revenue to sue for.
>
>And people wonder why the FSF bitches about Apple.

Let me get this straight: Jack is _worried_ that Apple might object, and you
hold this up as an example of why FSF bitches about Apple???????  Apple has
said nothing to Jack, as far as I could see from your excerpt of his message.

If he's written his own code which implements a different version of the list
manager, I can't see the problem.  People patch the toolbox with their own code
all the time, and I reckon you're free to write any kind of software for the
Mac you want.  _If_, however, he's based his work on the actual code of the
List Manager, that's a different story: he has no right to "re-work" Apple's
code and release it.  That's not releasing free software; that's re-releasing
someone else's work.

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

billkatt@mondo.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) (01/21/90)

In article <7292@tank.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>In article <TIME.90Jan18173708@oxtrap.aa.ox.com>, time@oxtrap.aa.ox.com (Tim Endres) writes...
>
>>In article <1493@umigw.MIAMI.EDU> jherr@umbio.miami.edu (Jack Herrington) writes:
>
>[has written his own version of the list manager and is worried about Apple's]
>[reaction]
>
>>Release the code and forget what Apple thinks.
>>
>>They have no claim over your "original" work in any way shape or form.
>>Further, if they wish to persue copyright, patent, or "look-and-feel"
>>infringement, you have to have something worth coming after. Free
>>software does not generate much revenue to sue for.
>>
>>And people wonder why the FSF bitches about Apple.

Its ok, release it.  You aren't violating Apple's look-and-feel as long as
you use QuickDraw to generate your displays.  In this way, QuickDraw is
really producing the graphics displays, not your program.  So this means that
as long as you don't convert your code to an non-mac, you are ok.  Really,
this is basically Apple's viewpoint.   Look at who they sued... They sued
Microsoft for Windows, not Aldus for Pagemaker under Windows.

The FSF is quite a bit too uptight.  They feel that everyone has to live by
the FSF's standards.  Live and let live.

-Steve Bollinger
billkatt@mondo.engin.umich.edu