[comp.sys.mac.programmer] double buffering considered harmful?

ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson) (01/19/90)

I just noticed that my SE (running 6.1/6.0.3) doesn't do double
buffering when copying files from a floppy to the internal
hard disk.  Is there some technical reason why the Finder
doesn't do this?  Seems like this would
be a cheap way to get a performance increase....

DESIRED SCENARIO:
1)read from floppy (hard disk remains idle)
2)write to hard disk (floppy drive remains idle)
3)if not done, goto 1

DESIRED SCENARIO:
1)do an asynchronous read from floppy to memory buffer A;
  In the meantime, the previous read from floppy, which was stored in
  memory buffer B, gets written to the hard disk.
2)when the async. read from floppy completes, it interrupts and
  then the hard disk reads  from buffer A to the hard disk.  Meanwhile
  the floppy drive starts a new async. read, moving the bytes read to
  buffer B.
3)if not done, goto 1

-Ted

6500stom@hub.UUCP (David Stoms) (01/20/90)

> 1)do an asynchronous read from floppy to memory buffer A;
>   In the meantime, the previous read from floppy, which was stored in
>   memory buffer B, gets written to the hard disk.

As far as I know, none of the disk drives (floppy or HD) support
async reads or writes. Hopefully, Apple has realized this and is
working to correct it.

/            Josh Pritikin             T The C++ programming language  \
| Internet:  6500stom@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu | is at worst, the second best  |
| AppleLink: Josh.P                    | for a given application.      |
\ GEnie:     J.Pritikin                ! But usually, it is the best.  /

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (01/22/90)

In article <3655@hub.UUCP>, 6500stom@hub.UUCP (David Stoms) writes:
> As far as I know, none of the disk drives (floppy or HD) support
> async reads or writes.

Actually, I believe that the File Manager does not support asynchronous
reads or writes, only the Device Manager.  Especially under MultiFinder,
it sure would be nice to be able to do it, though.  Sigh.

Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation
--

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (01/23/90)

In article <3655@hub.UUCP> 6500stom@hub.UUCP (David Stoms) writes:
> > 1)do an asynchronous read from floppy to memory buffer A;
> >   In the meantime, the previous read from floppy, which was stored in
> >   memory buffer B, gets written to the hard disk.
>
> As far as I know, none of the disk drives (floppy or HD) support
> async reads or writes. Hopefully, Apple has realized this and is
> working to correct it.

You're half right; the .Sony driver actually does support async I/O
to/from the floppies.

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that they
believe what I believe or vice-versa.
C++ -- The language in which only friends can access your private members.