[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Need TextEdit that supports multiple fonts

bwbecker@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Byron Weber Becker) (01/24/90)

I just read, to my horror, that TextEdit does not support
a bunch of things that we take for granted in dealing with
text these days -- multiple fonts for one.

So how do the _real_ text editors do it?  What is the easiest
ways to support multiple fonts, sizes, styles in a TextEdit-like
fashion?

I'm not writing a text editor, but I do need to display a
lot of text.

Thanks in Advance,
Byron Weber Becker
bwbecker@watdragon.waterloo.edu

bwbecker@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Byron Weber Becker) (01/25/90)

I wrote:
>I just read, to my horror, that TextEdit does not support
>a bunch of things that we take for granted in dealing with
>text these days -- multiple fonts for one.
>
>So how do the _real_ text editors do it?  What is the easiest
>ways to support multiple fonts, sizes, styles in a TextEdit-like
>fashion?

A number of people responded.  Thanks!  The answer is to look in
Vol. V of IM (on order -- all I've got at the moment are I and II).
It seems that Apple got so many complaints that they upgraded
textedit sometime back around system 4.2 or 5.

One person said it's still a bit sluggish and that REAL programmers
write their own.  We will see...