[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Questions to TCL users

Mats.Sundvall@bio.embnet.se (Mats Sundvall) (01/31/90)

In article <536@ns-mx.uiowa.edu>, jfrancis@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Jeff Francis) writes:
> Who else out in netland is using Symantec's THINK Class Library?  Is anyone
> working on a browser?  Does anyone have any interest in setting an ftp site
> for reusable TCL classes?  Let's see some TCL chatter!
>
> -jpf

Yes, what is happening with TCL? Are people writing reusable libraries? Are
there any commerical libraries available?

	Mats Sundvall
	University of Uppsala
	Sweden

djd@scgrp.UUCP (David Dmytryshyn) (02/02/90)

awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) writes:

> In article <536@ns-mx.uiowa.edu>, jfrancis@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Jeff Francis
> > Who else out in netland is using Symantec's THINK Class Library?  Is anyone
> > working on a browser?  Does anyone have any interest in setting an ftp site
> > for reusable TCL classes?  Let's see some TCL chatter!
>
> I'm up for some TCL chatter.  Answers: Me; yes, but not me; and: tell my
> sysop about ftp, so she can teach me how to use it.
>
> I'm developing some useful classes that I wouldn't mind sharing if there's
> interest--I have a CField that puts up a simple data field entry box using
> 9pt Geneva and bypasses all the CEditText stuff.  Also, CNumField, which is
> a CField that manages numeric entry in various radices.  I don't know...
> what's useful?

I'd be interested in almost any TCL classes, mostly to see how
they work a little better..

What ever happened to comp.sources.mac?  I'm hard pressed to remember
seeing anything come down in it in quite some time.  It would seem
that it would be a good place to send TCL classes, unless there's
something I don't know about...

Where is comp.sources.mac?

David..

olson@bootsie.UUCP (Eric Olson) (02/03/90)

In a recent article, Mats Sundvall writes:
>Yes, what is happening with TCL? Are people writing reusable libraries? Are
>there any commerical libraries available?

Glad you asked!  I launched Prepare(), the Journal of Think Class
Library Programming, on January 1st.  The first issue has been out
since then, and the second will be out on March 1st.  Demo issues
(which do not contain source code or detailed manual pages) are
available from Compuserve, GEnie, America Online, and the Sumex
info-mac archives.  I have attached the PR blurb for Prepare() below.

---

Prepare() is a bimonthly journal containing source code for use with
Symantec's THINK C version 4 and the Think Class Library.  Each issue
contains many new classes for use in your own programs (the Prepare()
Class Library), detailed manual pages for each class, and one or more
demonstration applications that show you how to use them.  The entire
issue is distributed solely on diskette.  The Manual pages can be
printed for easy reference, or read on-line with The Prepare() Browser.

You read the issue using The Prepare() Browser, which is the demo
application in the first issue.  The Prepare() Browser is also useful
for reading any set of files in a directory tree.

Everything in Prepare() is provided in source code form (including
The Prepare() Browser), and the coding and documentation styles are
very similar to Symantec's own style.

The Prepare() Browser requires a Mac Plus or newer and System 6.0 or
newer to run.  2 Meg of RAM and a hard disk are recommended for
developing applications using the code in Prepare().

Because of the object-oriented code nature of Prepare(), subscriptions
always start from the beginning of the volume.  When you subscribe,
you may receive many issues initially.

Major classes in the premier issue of Prepare() include StyleText and
EditStyle (Styled TextEdit panes), ProfileDoc (a useful Profiler and
Tracer with an object-oriented user interface), DirListDir (a directory
browser similar to ResEdit's), and ListPane (a fully-functional List
Manager pane).

The second issue of Prepare() (due out on March 1, 1990) includes
FastText (a text editor class that supports tabs and a text buffer
size limited only by available RAM, but not word wrap), PopupMenu
(a versatile pop-up menu pane with many options for various menu
appearances), and many other useful classes for use in your projects.

Prepare() is a totally new kind of journal: not a printed magazine to be
read and filed away, but source code for use in new or existing software
projects.  The Prepare() Class Library builds on and extends the
capability of the Think Class Library, and, since it is distributed on
diskette, it can be used immediately in the subscriber's own software
projects.  Since Prepare() is published 6 times a year, subscribers are
quickly updated with code reflecting changes to the Macintosh System
Software environment.

Subscribers license the code in Prepare() via an agreement very similar
to Symantec's THINK C license:  no licensing fees are required for
compiled applications written using the code in Prepare().  The source
code and documentation in Prepare() is copyrighted by Lexington Software
Design and licensed to the subscriber and may not be redistributed.

Prepare() is an independent journal not affiliated with Symantec
Corporation.

A one year subscription to Prepare() is $495.  Subscription inquiries
should be directed to the phone number and address below.

             Eric K. Olson, Editor
             Prepare()
             Lexington Software Design
             72A Lowell Street
             Lexington, MA  02173
             (617) 863-9624

---
Please note!  olson@bootsie.uucp will not work!  Use an address below:

Eric K. Olson                 Internet:   olson@endor.harvard.edu
Lexington Software Design     Usenet:     harvard!endor!olson
72A Lowell St.                Applelink:  olson@endor.harvard.edu@dasnet#
Lexington, MA  02173          Compuserve: >INTERNET:olson@endor.harvard.edu
(617) 863-9624                Bitnet:     OLSON@HARVARD