[comp.sys.mac.programmer] I want to be a Mac programmer

bradley@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Eugene Bradley) (01/25/90)

Folks:

Title implies question:  how does one become a Mac programmer?  I have the
programmers button installed on my Mac SE and I have Macintosh Pascal 2.0.
Do I need to upgrade to THINK Pascal?

Do I need to join the Apple Programmers/Developers Association?  If this is
the case, what are the advantages/disadvantages of joining/not joining?  Do
I also need to buy the Macintosh Programmers Workbench (the beginners' version
if available)?

Also, what books do I need to buy to get me started as a Mac Programmer?
How many programs have been written in Macintosh Pascal 2.0?  I also have
MacsBug (ver. unknown) installed in my System, which is 6.0.3.

BTW, I have just started reading this newsgroup, so forgive me.

bradley@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Eugene Bradley)

 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<"May you never have to hear surf music again!">>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
						-Jimi Hendrix

pwp@shamash.cdc.com (Peter Poorman) (02/07/90)

In article <Jan.24.14.46.14.1990.27837@galaxy.rutgers.edu> bradley@andromeda (Eugene Bradley) writes:
>Title implies question:  how does one become a Mac programmer?  I have the
>programmers button installed on my Mac SE and I have Macintosh Pascal 2.0.
>Do I need to upgrade to THINK Pascal?

Others have answered most of this question.  I'd just like to add that
some sample source code is available on the net that may be of use as a
learning aid.

First, Apple provides sample source.  It's available via anonymous ftp from
host apple.apple.com.  See directory /pub/dts/mac.

Second, a bunch of source code is archived on sumex-aim.stanford.edu.
See /info-mac/source.

--Pete