[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Simple Questions on A/UX

ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian Patrick Arnold) (02/03/90)

Hello there,

   thanks to all who have responded to my earlier questions.  Now I have
some questions about A/UX.

1. Can I write an A/UX-happy application using MPW Pascal?  How well can
I avoid porting to an A/UX Pascal compiler?  I have a MacApp-based MPW
Pascal-compiled application that runs under System 6.0.4 on a Mac IIci.
I "hfx"ed the app to A/UX on a Mac II and "Launch"ed it.  It (the MacApp
part) launched successfully but then the app proceeded to core dump.  I
suspect it crashed as soon as it tried to create and write to a
temporary file in the System Folder (sysVRefNum).  Hmm, exactly where
would a sys folder be if my app is running under A/UX?  How do Mac HFS
calls work in general?

2. Does A/UX come with a standard Pascal compiler, and if there are
alternatives available, which one is closest to being compatible with
MPW Pascal?

3. If my ROM-dependant app is to be run under A/UX, will A/UX permit it
to be launched for multiple remote users logged in simultaneously?

Answers are much appreciated, thank you.

- Brian

dwb@archer.apple.com (David W. Berry) (02/07/90)

In article <oZmUQ7K00WBL43HlcS@andrew.cmu.edu> ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian Patrick Arnold) writes:

>Hello there,
>
>   thanks to all who have responded to my earlier questions.  Now I have
>some questions about A/UX.
>
>1. Can I write an A/UX-happy application using MPW Pascal?  How well can
>I avoid porting to an A/UX Pascal compiler?  I have a MacApp-based MPW
>Pascal-compiled application that runs under System 6.0.4 on a Mac IIci.
>I "hfx"ed the app to A/UX on a Mac II and "Launch"ed it.  It (the MacApp
>part) launched successfully but then the app proceeded to core dump.  I
>suspect it crashed as soon as it tried to create and write to a
>temporary file in the System Folder (sysVRefNum).  Hmm, exactly where
>would a sys folder be if my app is running under A/UX?  How do Mac HFS
>calls work in general?
	MPW Pascal applications (esp. MacApp) should work just fine
under A/UX, with a few minor complications.  The free space checks
when writing documents will be less than satisfactory since they
report only the free space on the root volume.  The system folder
is in /usr/lib/mac and is normally world writable.

>2. Does A/UX come with a standard Pascal compiler, and if there are
>alternatives available, which one is closest to being compatible with
>MPW Pascal?
	Not that I know of.  I'm pretty sure there is one available
from unisoft though.

>3. If my ROM-dependant app is to be run under A/UX, will A/UX permit it
>to be launched for multiple remote users logged in simultaneously?
	Nope.  Well, kinda.  If they have appropriate permissions, they
run launch.  The application will always be run upon the console though.