[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Second screens

schabtac@boulder.Colorado.EDU (SCHABTACH ADAM) (02/08/90)

In article <104700075@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> [ talks about the intriguing possiblity of creating a second 9" virtual
  monitor on a big screen ]
>This would be a great boon to people developing software for multiple
>monitors, who can't afford (or don't want to bother) buying a second monitor.

This reminds me of an idea I had awhile back. I just acquired a IIci, which
means my aged Mac Plus is mostly collecting dust. Wouldn't it be nice, I
thought to myself, if I could hook it up to the IIci and use it as a second
monitor?

Obviously, all the needed hardware is there.  The physical connection could
be made with the serial port (might be too slow, though). Since the Plus
has a lot more brains than just a monochrome monitor, it seems like one
could create some sort of communication scheme so that the host could
say "draw a window" rather than sending every pixel to draw the window.

I don't know enough about the video drivers and so on to know if this is
feasible, but shouldn't it be possible? Or maybe this has already been
done and I just haven't heard about it?

--Adam