[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Preemption

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (02/07/90)

In article <142@farcomp.UUCP>, murat@farcomp (Murat Konar) writes:
>I like the way the Mac feels and couldn't care less about being able to
>format a disk while calculating Pi to 73000 decimal palces.  Those of
>you (programmer types) who can't tell a pointer from a handle should
>just stay over there where you are.

Hi Murat,
   I wanted to post a longer reply to this, but unfortunately, I was
running MOTU's Performer on my (non memory-protected) Macintosh and it
crapped out, brought the machine down, and spat on it's copy
protection, so I've lost one level of hard disk installation, so I am
too busy writing to MOTU to complain.

I don't mind not having preemptive multitasking (for the reasons you
mention), but I'd really rather like (i) memory protection, and (ii)
some way to stop programs when I want to, not when *they* want to.

>There, I feel better.

Ich auch.

>Murat N. Konar

		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick

6600pete@hub.UUCP (GurgleKat [Pete Gontier]) (02/08/90)

From article <2054@castle.ed.ac.uk>, by nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell):
> ...I'd really rather like... some way to stop programs when I want to,
> not when *they* want to.

Install your programmer's switch, install Macsbug (the debugger, not the
screen saver), punch the far button, and type 'es<return>'. Sort of a
round-a-bout way of doing things, but it works. Most of the time.

Hire this kid  | Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (02/08/90)

In article <3860@hub.UUCP>, 6600pete@hub.UUCP (GurgleKat [Pete Gontier]) writes...

>From article <2054@castle.ed.ac.uk>, by nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell):
>> ...I'd really rather like... some way to stop programs when I want to,
>> not when *they* want to.
>
>Install your programmer's switch, install Macsbug (the debugger, not the
>screen saver), punch the far button, and type 'es<return>'. Sort of a
>round-a-bout way of doing things, but it works. Most of the time.

True, but Nicks point is, I think, that such things should be built into the
Mac interface.  I agree with him that this, along with protected memory, are
VERY important, much more so than preemptive MultiTasking.

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (02/08/90)

In article <7498@tank.uchicago.edu>, gft_robert@gsbacd writes:
>In article <3860@hub.UUCP>, 6600pete@hub.UUCP (GurgleKat [Pete Gontier])
>>Install your programmer's switch, install Macsbug (the debugger, not the
>>screen saver), punch the far button, and type 'es<return>'. Sort of a
>>round-a-bout way of doing things, but it works. Most of the time.

For me it works if I'm lucky. Thing is, without protected memory
you're *never* sure that something hasn't spat on something else
important.

>True, but Nicks point is, I think, that such things should be built into the
>Mac interface.  I agree with him that this, along with protected memory, are
>VERY important, much more so than preemptive MultiTasking.

My point entirely.

>Robert

	Nick.
--

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon Watte) (02/09/90)

In article <2054@castle.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:
>In article <142@farcomp.UUCP>, murat@farcomp (Murat Konar) writes:

>   I wanted to post a longer reply to this, but unfortunately, I was
>running MOTU's Performer on my (non memory-protected) Macintosh and it
>crapped out, brought the machine down, and spat on it's copy

>I don't mind not having preemptive multitasking (for the reasons you
>mention), but I'd really rather like (i) memory protection, and (ii)
>some way to stop programs when I want to, not when *they* want to.

Yeah ! Hear ! Protected memory ! More ! More ! Yeah ! That's right !
If you're ever in ]lsten, I'll buy you a beer ! :-)

You _have_ a way to stop applications when _you_ want to - break into
macsBug, check the string at CurApName and if it's the one you want,
type 'ES' and be happy. Of course, this requires MacsBug and 200k of
extra system heap to spare...

h+

--
   ---  Stay alert !  -  Trust no one !  -  Keep your laser handy !  ---
             h+@nada.kth.se  ==  h+@proxxi.se  ==  Jon Watte

francis@mirror.UUCP (Joe Francis) (02/09/90)

In article <3860@hub.UUCP> 6600pete@hub.UUCP (GurgleKat [Pete Gontier]) write
>Install your programmer's switch, install Macsbug (the debugger, not the
>screen saver), punch the far button, and type 'es<return>'.

There is a new version of Macsbug floating about, 6.2d5 I believe.  I
bought the 6.0 docs from APDA a while back, but this version seems to
have several new features.  Is any documentation available for it?

By the way, it comes with an init that makes option-backspace and
fan-backspace act as programmers interrupt switches.  Forgot to check
whether you can change that from the control panel.

Joe Francis
		"You won't need no camel when I take you for a ride"
		-Maria Malduar, in 'Midnight at the Oasis'