[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Interfacing to Midi

alistair@minster.york.ac.uk (02/09/90)

We are trying to connect a Mac II to a synthesizer, using an
Opcode Studio 2 plus midi interface on the modem port. The
problem amounts to how to set the baud rate to the Midi standard,
31250, running in sync with the external 1MHz clock produced by the
Opcode interface. Also, will this automatically set up a suitable
sampling rate (at 16 times the baud rate or whatever) or does that have
to be done in software too - if so, how?

Alistair Edwards		| email: alistair@minster.york.ac.uk
Department of Computer Science	| phone: (international) +44 904 432775
University of York		|
Heslington, York		|
England YO1 5DD			|

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (02/09/90)

In article <634496328.23152@minster.york.ac.uk>, alistair@minster writes:
>We are trying to connect a Mac II to a synthesizer, using an
>Opcode Studio 2 plus midi interface on the modem port. The
>problem amounts to how to set the baud rate to the Midi standard,
>31250, running in sync with the external 1MHz clock produced by the
>Opcode interface.

This is not the problem.

The problem is whether you have a branch of APDA nearby where you can
get Apple's MIDI Manager software, which is the *only* officially
sanctioned way of using the serial ports for MIDI communication.

>Alistair Edwards

		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick