[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Odd Interaction Between Notifcation Manager and MS Word 4

mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (02/09/90)

  Here's an interesting one for y'all.  I've got a driver that (among other
things) will listen for a message to come over the network, and it displays it
using the Notification Manager's alert notification mode.
  So I got the code working, and I'm just trying it with various applications
just to see if it works.  (And thanking my lucky stars that I didn't have
set up my own A5 world to draw the dialog box.)
  For those of you who haven't used the Notification Manager, it'll put up
an alert box with some text in the System Font, and an OK button.  Usually.
  I launch Microsoft Word, and I go over to another computer, and blast a
message over to the machine running Word, and the NM dialog comes up.  But lo
and behold!  The text isn't Chicago, it's Geneva!  I look at the menus, and
they're ALL in Geneva now.  No more Chicago style menus.
  I run some other programs (FullWrite, Studio/8, WriteNow) to make sure this
wasn't a universal occurance.  Nothing out of the ordinary in those prgorams.
  I go back to Word and diddle some more.  I open a document, then send the
message.  It comes up fine.  I quit, run it again, and type some stuff, and
send a message to the NM.  It comes up in Geneva.  So I quit, run Word again,
change the font, and send my message.  Everything's peachy.
  So it seems that Microsoft (bless their hearts) is making some obscure
assumption about the state of the system when their program starts up.  Or
they're messing with something they're not supposed to somewhere.
  Neat, eh?

  -- Dean

Dean Yu                            | E-mail:    mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu
Mac Support &                      | Real-mail: Dean Yu
 Self declared License Czar        |            Rm 145 Chrysler Building
University of Michigan             |            2121 Bonnisteel
Computer Aided Engineering Network |            Ann Arbor, MI 48109
     INCLUDE 'Disclaimers.a'       | Phone:     (313) 763-3070

matthews@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jim Matthews) (02/10/90)

We ran into this bug last fall, when we were distributing Word 4 and our
mail system (which uses the Notification Manager) to our freshmen.
MicroSoft pointed the finger at Apple (something about the NM not
preserving DAFont...) but they did give us a workaround to keep Word's
menus from being corrupted.  Just put the following in your NM response
procedure:

	{ Kludge to fix MS Word 4.0 problem }
	GetPort(ourPort);
	oldFont := ourPort^.txFont;
	for i := 1 to 13 do
	begin
		TextFont(i);
		if CharWidth(' ') > 0 then ;
	end;
	TextFont(oldFont);

This apparently flushes the font width cache and makes life better.  But
the notification dialog is still in Geneva....

Jim Matthews
Dartmouth Software Development

murat@farcomp.UUCP (Murat Konar) (02/11/90)

In article <1990Feb9.040754.16705@caen.engin.umich.edu> mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) writes:
[stuff axed]
>  I launch Microsoft Word, and I go over to another computer, and blast a
>message over to the machine running Word, and the NM dialog comes up.  But lo
>and behold!  The text isn't Chicago, it's Geneva!  I look at the menus, and
>they're ALL in Geneva now.  No more Chicago style menus.

[stuff axed]
>  So it seems that Microsoft (bless their hearts) is making some obscure
>assumption about the state of the system when their program starts up.  Or
>they're messing with something they're not supposed to somewhere.
>  Neat, eh?

I wouldn't put it past the ding-dongs at Microsoft to be drawing in the window
managers port instead of the window.  I had a weird problem where I wrote a
WDEF that had a structure region that was smaller than the content region.  In
most applications this worked fine.  All drawing to the window was clipped to
the structure region.  Except for (TA-DAH!) Microsoft Turd and Microsoft
Eggsmell.

Try this:  Launch Microsoft Turd and change the font to something other than
Geneva.  Then blast your message.  If the menus show this other font, then
Microsoft is probably drawing in the window manager port (naughty, naugty).

Later.

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar
murat@farcomp.UUCP             -or-          farcomp!murat@apple.com