[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Another neat INIT needed...

rdsesq@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Rob Snevely) (02/09/90)

On a slightly different vein, does anybody know if its possible to set
up a mac to have 2+ "displays" on one monitor. I know that it is doable
under Xwindows, where you slide the cursor to say the right side of
the screen and it switches to a color "display", move it back to the
left and your in a B&W "display". It seems like you should be able to set
up 2 gDevices, 1 B&W and 1 Color, and then swap them to the monitor.

Anybody out there know if this is even doable on a mac.

Thanx,

Rob Snevely                              Internet: rdsesq@jessica.stanford.edu
Academic Information Resources
Stanford University

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (02/12/90)

In article <8977@portia.Stanford.EDU> rdsesq@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Rob Snevely) writes:
_>On a slightly different vein, does anybody know if its possible to set
_>up a mac to have 2+ "displays" on one monitor. I know that it is doable
_>under Xwindows, where you slide the cursor to say the right side of
_>the screen and it switches to a color "display", move it back to the
_>left and your in a B&W "display". It seems like you should be able to set
_>up 2 gDevices, 1 B&W and 1 Color, and then swap them to the monitor.

There is an FKEY called Switcheroo that does exactly this. Could you mail
me and tell me how to set up X windows to do it?

--- David Phillip Oster            --  No, I come from Boston. I just work
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --  in cyberspace.
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (02/13/90)

In article <34255@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (David Phillip Oster) writes:
>In article <8977@portia.Stanford.EDU> rdsesq@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Rob Snevely) writes:
>_>On a slightly different vein, does anybody know if its possible to set
>_>up a mac to have 2+ "displays" on one monitor. I know that it is doable
>_>under Xwindows, where you slide the cursor to say the right side of
>_>the screen and it switches to a color "display", move it back to the
>_>left and your in a B&W "display". It seems like you should be able to set
>_>up 2 gDevices, 1 B&W and 1 Color, and then swap them to the monitor.
>
>There is an FKEY called Switcheroo that does exactly this. Could you mail
>me and tell me how to set up X windows to do it?

You're both a little off base.

Some color screens, such as the Sun cgfour (I think it's the four), have
two "planes", one in color and one in mono.  The MIT X server for the
color Suns will allow you to use each of these planes as a separate
display.

If you start out on the color plane and then move the pointer to the
right off the screen, you end up on the monochrome plane.  Some people
use this to allow for less screen clutter, while others find that some
applications are just too slow in color, but work fine in monochrome.

Switcheroo, and programs that use the technique (e.g., SuperPaint 1.1),
changes the depth of the screen, which is not the same thing as having
multiple "screens" on a single physical monitor.

As I said to Rob in a private letter, if such a mechanism were
available on the Mac (which I think would be great), it should allow
for any screen depth on each "virtual" screen.

(I apologize if I got screens, displays, monitors, and planes terminology
wrong.  X and the Mac use different terms, and some terms get overloaded.
Talk to me about synthesizer partials someday ;-)

--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce