[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Programs under AppleTalk

sam@neoucom.UUCP (Scott A. Mason) (02/08/90)

I have just finished writing a Mac program.  It runs fine under Finder and
MultiFinder.  How does one modify this program to run on a network?
I'm using LSC 3.02 on a Mac SE.  I'll post a summary of answers for other
curious ones.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it," and certainly don't blame me.
UUCP:  {pitt,scooter,hal,cwjcc,aablue}!neoucom!sam   INTERNET:  sam@neoucom.EDU
Scott A. Mason, Coordinator of Systems Operations, NEOUCOM

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (02/12/90)

Ok, you've got a program that runs on a single mac and you'd like to make
it compatible with a network.

1.) Read a good book on operating systems and make sure that you
understand the problems concurrency brings. You should understand
semaphores, critical sections, and serializability at the very least.
You might check out the File Manager (I.M. Vol4) call that deal with
record and range locking that are only available on a network file
server.

2.) Read Inside Appletalk and the associated tech notes. In addition to
the above issues, add redundancy and reliability (a node can go dead
during your program, or one node can time out and re-request a packet,
then the packet can arrive, then another copy of the packet, which took a
different, slower route can arrive out of order.)

3.) If you are using Localtalk, you'll probably have to use it
asynchronously because it will be too boring for the user to wait for the
packets to move around the net.

4.) Decide if you will be using a broadcast or a point-to-point protocol.
If broadcast, you'll need to make some decisions about network zones and
about network gateways.

Depending on how much you already know, allocate 1-3 man months to the
network part of your first Macintosh network project.

--- David Phillip Oster            --  No, I come from Boston. I just work
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --  in cyberspace.
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu

han@apple.COM (Byron Han, Project Scapegoat) (02/13/90)

In article <1895@neoucom.UUCP> sam@neoucom.UUCP (Scott A. Mason) writes:
> I have just finished writing a Mac program.  It runs fine under Finder
and
> MultiFinder.  How does one modify this program to run on a network?
> I'm using LSC 3.02 on a Mac SE.  I'll post a summary of answers for other
> curious ones.

Are you asking how to make your application AppleShare compatible (i.e.
multilaunch?).  If so, there is a technical note that covers this.
Essentially, the TN says you cannot write to yourself (i.e. keep all
"settings" in a settings document that resides in unique place for each
user)

| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                   |
Byron Han, CommToolbox Scapegoat  "Working 100 hours a week and loving it!"
20525 Mariani Ave, MS 69L         Internet: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014               UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
--------------------------------  GENIE:BYRONHAN   CompuServe:72167,1664
ATTnet: 408-974-6450              Applelink:HAN1   HAN1@applelink.apple.COM