[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Help, weird THINK C bombs

mcdonald@fornax.UUCP (Ken Mcdonald) (02/14/90)

Is the first version of THINK C 4.0 known to have problems resetting globals
to what they are supposed to be, when it exits?  I've finally gotten around
to using my copy, and have found that while it causes no problems while
running, it virtually always causes an attempted launch o a succeeding
program to blow up--producing some VERY interesting screen effects.  (If
a programs gonna crash, at least it should make the experience interesting!)
I admit, I am running somewhat of a kamikaze system, and it could be an
interaction with an init--but only THINK C causes this problem.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks,
Ken McDonald
{mcdonald@cs.sfu.ca}

billkatt@mondo.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) (02/15/90)

In article <1@fornax.UUCP> mcdonald@fornax.UUCP (Ken Mcdonald) writes:
>Is the first version of THINK C 4.0 known to have problems resetting globals
>to what they are supposed to be, when it exits?  I've finally gotten around
>to using my copy, and have found that while it causes no problems while
>running, it virtually always causes an attempted launch o a succeeding
>program to blow up--producing some VERY interesting screen effects.  (If
>a programs gonna crash, at least it should make the experience interesting!)
>I admit, I am running somewhat of a kamikaze system, and it could be an
>interaction with an init--but only THINK C causes this problem.  Any
>suggestions?

Read the docs on 'abnormal exits'.  When you leave your program by a different
way than falling through main(), or an exit() in main, you need to take some
precautions to prevent stuff like that above.

-Steve Bollinger
billkatt@mondo.engin.umich.edu