[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Will MPW 3.0 tools ALWAYS work in 3.1?

jeffb@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jeffrey C. Buchsbaum) (02/15/90)

 As I upgrade to MPW suite 3.1  (all the stuff), will my "old" 3.1 tools still
work as before.  I have an array processor at 20Mflops I need for my physics
research, and it came with compilers....that were set up under 3.0.  What will
happen in 3.1.  Is 3.1 just a maintenance release, or is the linker really
different?   The company did not know yet, so I write this in the hopes that an
Apple guru could straighten things out.  Also, has Apple made any public state-
ments about a C++ release that is non-beta.  A friend who has C++ found it to be
way too slow on his plus......
 Finally, I just received my Language Systems Fortran upgrade to version 2.0, and
they have really improved the product.  I have yet to check speed, but if it is
2.5 times faster.... Version 1.21 was a lot faster than our MicrovaxII.
 Note:  The above includes opinions that are my own and in no way represent my
school or any of my employers.  Some proper names above are trademarked to Apple
and others.

  Thanks!
Jeff Buchsbaum
jeffb@mac.dartmouth.edu     (our in house mac mail....icons and all)
jeffb@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (our vax11/785 public unix box)

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (02/18/90)

In article <19419@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> jeffb@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jeffrey C. Buchsbaum) writes:

> As I upgrade to MPW suite 3.1  (all the stuff), will my "old" 3.1 tools still
>work as before.  I have an array processor at 20Mflops I need for my physics
>research, and it came with compilers....that were set up under 3.0.  What will
>happen in 3.1.  Is 3.1 just a maintenance release, or is the linker really
>different?   The company did not know yet, so I write this in the hopes that an
>Apple guru could straighten things out.  Also, has Apple made any public state-
>ments about a C++ release that is non-beta.  A friend who has C++ found it to be
>way too slow on his plus......

There have been some minor changes to the OMF output (the stuff that appears
in .o files) and .SYM output (SADE symbols from the linker), but they should
all be upward compatible. I don't see that there should be any problems with
upgrading from 3.0 to 3.1. 3.1 is mostly a maintenance release, with the added
feature of C++ support in the C compiler.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions