[comp.sys.mac.programmer] SAM Intercept message - ?????

notes@acf4.NYU.EDU (02/17/90)

Hi,

	I've been having a problem on my Mac-SE (running 6.0.2).
When I double-click a folder, SAM Intercept says:

There is an attempt to add a resource of type 'FKEY'.
The file being affected is 'Desktop'.
The current active application is 'Finder'.

Anyone know what this means, and why it happens?  Please send
replies here, or to 'chenn@acf5.nyu.edu'.  Thanks!

phaedrus@milton.acs.washington.edu (The Wanderer) (02/19/90)

In article <22240003@acf4.NYU.EDU> notes@acf4.NYU.EDU writes:
>Hi,
>
>	I've been having a problem on my Mac-SE (running 6.0.2).
>When I double-click a folder, SAM Intercept says:
>
>There is an attempt to add a resource of type 'FKEY'.
>The file being affected is 'Desktop'.
>The current active application is 'Finder'.
>
>Anyone know what this means, and why it happens?

     If I had to take a stab, I would say that the folder in question
contains an old copy of FKEY Manager or FKEY Handler (I can never remember
what it's named; I use Suitcase).  The problem with that particular version
was that it used a creator signature of "FKEY".  Whenever you open up a
folder containing a new program, the Finder adds several resources to the
Desktop file; one of them has the same type as the creator signature of the
program.  So, the Finder tries to create an "FKEY" resource in the Desktop
file.  The problem is that "FKEY" is also the resource type used by the
executable code run by function keys; properly-paranoid virus-checkers like
SAM Intercept won't let you add anything to Desktop that might be executable
code, and they can't tell the difference.  So they reject the Finder's
request.
     I know that newer versions of this utility are available; my advice
would be to delete it.  If the folder opens despite the error message, just
look for a utility with FKEY in its name and delete it; if the folder won't
open at all, you'll have to use another program that lets you delete files
(Microsoft Word, DiskTop, ResEdit, whatever).
--
Internet: phaedrus@u.washington.edu        (University of Washington, Seattle)
  The views expressed here are not those of this station or its management.