[comp.sys.mac.programmer] strange happenings...

keir@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rick Keir, MACC) (02/24/90)

In article <4062@hub.UUCP>, nichols@apricot.ucsb.edu (Timothy C. Nichols;;;;Graduate;900630;;aaecg-9nichols@apricot.ucsb.edu (Timothy C. Nichols;;;;Graduate writes...

>The SE/30 has been doing some weird things lately.  File and folder
>names
>keep getting renamed '..............' or any combination of dots.

This sounds very much like a problem from the first days of the
Mac Plus & the HD SC Setup program.  Try updating the drivers
by using the HD SC Setup that ships with System 6.0.3 (it's
version 2.0), or with System 6.0.4 (I don't have a copy handy,
but I think it is the same as in 6.0.3).

We saw about a dozen Macs here with this problem when the
bug first was reported.  Apple sent out 2 fixes in quick
succession to their SCSI software, and that ended it.
Don't ask me why a bad SCSI driver would do this...
but having worked with computers for a decade, it doesn't
surprise me in the least.

rob@cs.mu.oz.au (Robert Wallen) (02/25/90)

In article <3235@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> keir@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rick Keir, MACC) writes:

>>The SE/30 has been doing some weird things lately.  File and folder
>>names
>>keep getting renamed '..............' or any combination of dots.
>
>This sounds very much like a problem from the first days of the
>Mac Plus & the HD SC Setup program.  Try updating the drivers
>by using the HD SC Setup that ships with System 6.0.3 (it's
>version 2.0), or with System 6.0.4 (I don't have a copy handy,
>but I think it is the same as in 6.0.3).

I also experienced this problem; the hassle was that I was using a System
file that had been 'customised' for another machine.  That is, I was on a
SE but was using a system that had most of the non-Plus resources (i.e. all
but id=117) removed.  Make sure your system hasnt had this sort of jiggery-
pokery performed on it...

As to why it does plugs in dots, it seemed that the keyboard was generating
lots of '.' events and if the problem happened in the Finder with an icon
selected, renames just happened.  Maybe it was the ADBS stuff missing??