[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Borland Turbo Pascal 1.10 under multifinder?

chupa@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Michael A Chupa) (02/26/90)

Has a multifinder-aware/friendly version of Turbo Pascal been released?  I can
run the editor, but I cannot compile/execute under Multifinder.  Or should
I just trash Borland's Pascal (which they seem to have abandoned) and get
something better?  Recommendations?  (I am particularly interested in a
system that novice student programmers will not flounder with).

--
Mike Chupa              (302) 575-0550            The time has come, the
Math/CS Department      (302) 984-0498            Walrus said, to talk of

ez000453@deneb (02/28/90)

Yes, Turbo Pascal for the Mac is a pain and is extremely limited...
BUT, I can explain how to use it to a group of non-programmers within a
single class period. I'd hate to think how long it would take to go
through LSP or others. TP is very plain but there are instances when it is
good enough. Take my case, for instance. Some students have learned Pascal
on the university VAXs and aren't familiar with memory management etc..,
With TP, I can take their example code from the VAX, download it to a Mac,
and compile right away. Saves me a lot of hassle.

oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo
o  COLIN ONG              Dept. Land, Air & Water Resources                 o
o  cgong@ucdavis.edu      University of California, Davis CA 95616          o
o  ez000453@deneb.ucdavis.edu                    FULLY DISCLAIMED!          o

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (03/01/90)

In article <6876@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> ez000453@deneb () writes:
>Yes, Turbo Pascal for the Mac is a pain and is extremely limited...
>BUT, I can explain how to use it to a group of non-programmers within a
>single class period. I'd hate to think how long it would take to go
>through LSP or others. TP is very plain but there are instances when it is
>good enough. Take my case, for instance. Some students have learned Pascal

	You might try Macintosh Pascal 3.0; it pioneered the prettyprinter
which is used in THINK Pascal, and you can create single-file interpreted
Pascal programs very quickly. And it works under MultiFinder.

	I admit a bias because I wrote it, but it's a good program in
spite of that. :-)

R.

 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"When someone who makes four hundred and fifty dollars an hour wants to
tell you something for free, it's a good idea to listen."