[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Hiding the menu bar

hildreth@cg-atla.UUCP (Lon Hildreth) (10/19/88)

I have an application that would like to make full use of the screen, a la
SuperPaint.  I can do this by doing CopyBits to qd.screenBits.  However, I
really want to be writing to a window.  In doing so, the top of the window
is obliterated by an empty menu bar.  Is there any legitimate way I can
hide the menu bar?  And would this cause any problems when running under
multi-finder?

--
Lon Hildreth		...!{decvax,ima,ism780c,ulowell}!cg-atla!hildreth
Compugraphic Corp	"You can't beat fun at the old ball park."

tarr-michael@CS.Yale.EDU (michael tarr) (02/27/90)

I am looking for some LSC 4.0 code to make a window cover the entire
screen including the menu bar, I want the bar to appear only when a
mousedown occurs in the menubar region. (Like in Tetris). Does anyone
have code they are willing to share to do this?

Mike Tarr
tarr@cs.yale.edu

6500stom@hub.UUCP (David Stoms) (03/01/90)

From article <17190@cs.yale.edu>, by tarr-michael@CS.Yale.EDU (michael tarr):
> I am looking for some LSC 4.0 code to make a window cover the entire
> screen including the menu bar, I want the bar to appear only when a
> mousedown occurs in the menubar region. (Like in Tetris). Does anyone
> have code they are willing to share to do this?

All you have to do is save the menu bar area to an offset pixmap and
thin change the window's visRgn and clipRgn to include the portion of
the screen that the menu bar covers. If the user click in the menu
bar just change the vis and clipRgns back and copybits the pixmap
back. I think that'll work.. yah.. maybe.

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (03/04/90)

From article <17190@cs.yale.edu>, by tarr-michael@CS.Yale.EDU (michael tarr):

In article <4113@hub.UUCP> 6500stom@hub.UUCP (David Stoms) writes:
>All you have to do is save the menu bar area to an offset pixmap and
>thin change the window's visRgn and clipRgn to include the portion of
>the screen that the menu bar covers. If the user click in the menu
>bar just change the vis and clipRgns back and copybits the pixmap
>back. I think that'll work.. yah.. maybe.

Why would you need this crufty save-restore?  Couldn't you just
DrawMenuBar after fixing up the visible and clip regions?  This
avoids stealing bits from the screen and makes the code simpler.

"I may be nuts but a speedfreak I ain't!" -- Robert Crumb