[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MacApp pascal compiler - include files

frederia@isy.liu.se (Frederic Aron) (02/22/90)

Developping a large CAD software into MacApp, we would like to increase the
speed of the Pascal compiler. To avoid having compiling all the program when
changing only a small part of it, we did as shown in the cookbook:
 - one UXXXX.p file for the interface
 - a set of UXXXX.incx.p files for each main group of objects for the
implementation, declared as {$I UXXXX.incx.p}

The problem is that the compiler is not compiling unless a change has been made
in the first include file, and is then compiling all the include files!

Thanks to anyone who could make me see the light!

Frederic ARON
Division of Applied Electronics
University of Linkoping-Sweden
frederia@isy.liu.se

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (03/05/90)

In article <1990Feb22.083647.25101@isy.liu.se> frederia@isy.liu.se (Frederic Aron) writes:

>Developping a large CAD software into MacApp, we would like to increase the
>speed of the Pascal compiler. To avoid having compiling all the program when
>changing only a small part of it, we did as shown in the cookbook:
> - one UXXXX.p file for the interface
> - a set of UXXXX.incx.p files for each main group of objects for the
>implementation, declared as {$I UXXXX.incx.p}
>
>The problem is that the compiler is not compiling unless a change has been made
>in the first include file, and is then compiling all the include files!
>
>Thanks to anyone who could make me see the light!
>
>Frederic ARON
>Division of Applied Electronics
>University of Linkoping-Sweden
>frederia@isy.liu.se

Frederic,

What determines what files get recompiled is your XXX.MAMake file. You didn't
post your XXX.MAMake file, so I don't know if there is a mistake in it anywhere.
However, it should have a few lines that look something like this:

"{ObjApp}"UXXXX.p.o  <opt-f>	"{SrcApp}UXXX.p" <opt-d>
				"{SrcApp}UXXX.inc1.p" <opt-d>
				"{SrcApp}UXXX.inc2.p" <opt-d>
				etc.

This way, if any of your .incx.p files change, then your object file will be
marked out of date, and will be rebuilt.

I hope this helps,

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions