[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Rich, please help!

mcdonald@fornax.UUCP (Ken Mcdonald) (02/26/90)

Are you still with Symantec, Rich?  If you are, I'd really appreciate some
help.  And if anyone else can tell me what's going on, I'd appreciate
that too.

By the way, this is a reposting of an earlier question--I didn't get any
replies, but have a bit more info, and the I really need to solve these
problems, so I'm reposting.

Basically, THINK C 4.0 is messing me up.  It will not print correctly--
in draft mode, it (seemingly at random) removes line feeds and spaces,
inserts garbage characters (which are usually in the expanded, double-
width draft font and look like they are part of a string resource), and
repeat prints parts of lines.  This is with no inits.  I've also
had similar problems in other printing modes, and THINK C seems to take
a LONG time to prepare a 1-page file for printing.

As well, THINK C has a high probability of causing an application lauch
immediately after THINK C has been quit, to crash.  This seems to happen
about 40% of the time.

These problems are NOT caused by my own code mucking around with the system,
as I have yet to compile a single line.  Also, these problems do not occur
with any other applications.

Suggestions, anyone?  I'm getting quite desperate.

Thanks,
Ken McDonald
{mcdonald@cs.sfu.ca}

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (02/27/90)

In article <371@fornax.UUCP> mcdonald@fornax.UUCP (Ken Mcdonald) writes:
>Are you still with Symantec, Rich?  If you are, I'd really appreciate some
>help.  And if anyone else can tell me what's going on, I'd appreciate
>that too.
>
>By the way, this is a reposting of an earlier question--I didn't get any
>replies, but have a bit more info, and the I really need to solve these
>problems, so I'm reposting.

	Having been in the throes of development, and most recently on
vacation, I returned to about 500 news articles and didn't have the fortitude
to read them all. Sorry I missed your original post.

>Basically, THINK C 4.0 is messing me up.  It will not print correctly--
>in draft mode, it (seemingly at random) removes line feeds and spaces,
>inserts garbage characters (which are usually in the expanded, double-
>width draft font and look like they are part of a string resource), and
>repeat prints parts of lines.  This is with no inits.  I've also
>had similar problems in other printing modes, and THINK C seems to take
>a LONG time to prepare a 1-page file for printing.

>As well, THINK C has a high probability of causing an application lauch
>immediately after THINK C has been quit, to crash.  This seems to happen
>about 40% of the time.

	Is this something recent, or has it been happening ever since you
installed THINK C 4.0, or upgraded it? The only possiblilities I can think
of are that your ImageWriter (I assume you're using an Image Writer)
driver is smashed, or that your copy of THINK C is smashed; restoring
one or both from the distribution disk may clear up the problem...

R.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"When someone who makes four hundred and fifty dollars an hour wants to
tell you something for free, it's a good idea to listen."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

vmrad@pollux (Bernard Littau) (03/06/90)

In article <1969@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.UUCP (Rich Siegel) writes:
[lots of stuff deleted]
>>As well, THINK C has a high probability of causing an application lauch
>>immediately after THINK C has been quit, to crash.  This seems to happen
>>about 40% of the time.
>
>	Is this something recent, or has it been happening ever since you
>installed THINK C 4.0, or upgraded it? The only possiblilities I can think
>of are that your ImageWriter (I assume you're using an Image Writer)
>driver is smashed, or that your copy of THINK C is smashed; restoring
>one or both from the distribution disk may clear up the problem...

I have had a similar problem.  I have traced it to some interaction
between On Cue 1.3 and Think C 4.0.  When I launch Think C 4.0 with On
Cue 1.3, and then do a run of a C program under multifinder, I often
crash.  Crash in this case is beep repeatedly until I get tired and
manually reboot.

As a matter of habit I just avoid starting Think C 4.0 via On Cue, but
I would much rather have them work with each other.

Anyone have any thoughts of suggestions?

Bernard Littau    VM Radiological Sciences        Telephone: (916) 752-4014
                  School of Veterinary Medicine   Internet:  vmrad@ucdavis.edu
                  University of California        BITNET:    vmrad@ucdavis
                  Davis, CA 95616                 UUCP: ucbvax!ucdavis!vmrad

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (03/06/90)

In article <6930@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> vmrad@pollux (Bernard Littau) writes:

>I have had a similar problem.  I have traced it to some interaction
>between On Cue 1.3 and Think C 4.0.  When I launch Think C 4.0 with On
>Cue 1.3, and then do a run of a C program under multifinder, I often
>crash.  Crash in this case is beep repeatedly until I get tired and
>manually reboot.

	It's a bug in OnCue, which we've made ICOM aware of, but they seem
somewhat reticent with respect to fixing it. The workaround is to not
use OnCue's document-launching feature; just start THINK C directly
from the OnCue menu.

R.