[comp.sys.mac.programmer] help !!!!!

kma@rhi.hi.is (Kurt M Alonso) (03/06/90)

	Does anybody out there know what error -108 is when compiling
	pascal programs with MPW pascal? The error message says
	literally (if I remember right)

		'Fatal memory error #-108'

	Thanks in advance

	Kurt.

Kurt M. Alonso                 University of Iceland, Reykjavik
Internet: kma@rhi.hi.is        UUCP: ..!mcvax!hafro!rhi!kma

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (03/07/90)

In article <1559@krafla.rhi.hi.is> kma@rhi.hi.is (Kurt M Alonso) writes:

>	Does anybody out there know what error -108 is when compiling
>	pascal programs with MPW pascal? The error message says
>	literally (if I remember right)
>
>		'Fatal memory error #-108'
>
>	Thanks in advance
>
>	Kurt.

That's the "Apple set the MPW Shell partition size to 1024K when they really
should have set it to 1500K or 2048K" error message. It is most prevalent in
MPW 3.0. Things have been cleaned up a little in MPW 3.1 so that this should
happen less (not happen as often?). But it still occurs on large builds. Set
your MPW Shell partition size larger if it does. If all of this means nothing,
because you are not using MultiFinder, then error -108 is the "You should have
bought THINK Pascal, as there is not enough memory on this Macintosh" error.
You really should have at least 2 meg., pref 4 (that's what the APDAlog sez).

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

kam@dlogics.UUCP (Kevin Mitchell) (03/08/90)

In article <39263@apple.Apple.COM>, keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
> In article <1559@krafla.rhi.hi.is> kma@rhi.hi.is (Kurt M Alonso) writes:
> >		'Fatal memory error #-108'
> That's the "Apple set the MPW Shell partition size to 1024K when they really
> should have set it to 1500K or 2048K" error message....

Actually, if you look through the Pascal release notes, you'll find that you
can increase the number in a HEXA resource to give Pascal more working space
without giving more space to MPW. I don't have them handy, or I'd even give
you the number.

--
Kevin A. Mitchell                (312) 266-4485
Datalogics, Inc                  Internet: kam@dlogics.UUCP

earleh@microsoft.UUCP (Earle HORTON) (03/10/90)

In article <1559@krafla.rhi.hi.is> kma@rhi.hi.is (Kurt M Alonso) writes:

>	Does anybody out there know what error -108 is when compiling
>	pascal programs with MPW pascal? The error message says
>	literally (if I remember right)
>
>		'Fatal memory error #-108'

It means you have run out of memory.  There is insufficient space in
Pascal's heap to satisfy a memory request.  Try closing all editor
windows except the Worksheet before compiling Pascal programs.  Then
try running without MultiFinder, removing all INITs which might be using
memory, etc.  Do anything you can to increase the amount of memory
available to Pascal.  If none of this works, then you can try making
your source files smaller and, finally, getting more RAM.

Earle R. Horton