[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Macsbug symbols

CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET (Christopher Tate) (10/18/89)

I've noticed a lot of variation in the MacsBug symbol formats generated by
various compilers.  THINK C, the only one I use personally, generates finite-
length (I think it's 6 or 8 characters), all-caps symbols.  Recently I found
a program with quite long (>15 character) mixed case symbols.

What is the mechanism used by MacsBug to handle imbedded debugging information?
Also, it seems to me that a lot of final-distribution programs still have the
debugging info present.  This is how I found out the two Wizard passwords to
MacMoria....

-------
Christopher Tate      ||      "I hate quotations!" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Joseph N. Hall) (10/19/89)

In article <89290.151624CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET> CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET (Christopher Tate) writes:
>I've noticed a lot of variation in the MacsBug symbol formats generated by
>various compilers.  THINK C, the only one I use personally, generates finite-
>length (I think it's 6 or 8 characters), all-caps symbols.  Recently I found
>a program with quite long (>15 character) mixed case symbols.

There are several "MacsBug" formats.  THINK C uses the "old" version,
which isn't such a bad idea since TMON doesn't grok the new-and-improved
longer symbols, not yet, anyway.  Maybe some day it will, and run on
the IIci too ...

v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 4116 Brewster Drive
 v v s   s || jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Internet)   || Raleigh, NC  27606
  v   sss  || SP Software/CAD Tool Developer, Mac Hacker and Keyboardist
-----------|| Disclaimer: NCSU may not share my views, but is welcome to.

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (10/20/89)

In article <4235@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> jnh@ecemwl.UUCP (Joseph N. Hall) writes:
|There are several "MacsBug" formats.  THINK C uses the "old" version,
|which isn't such a bad idea since TMON doesn't grok the new-and-improved
|longer symbols, not yet, anyway.  Maybe some day it will, and run on
|the IIci too ...

In TML Pascal II 3.0 (the MPW 3.0 / SADE 1.0 compatible version) there
was a TMON "user area" document for TMON 2.8.1 and up.  It has code to
recognize "new" symbols, though in shows only the first eight
characters (upper/lower case).  It also causes TMON to come up with
the R window and an A window initialized to start at 0000(PC).  Very
convenient.  It came on the update-without-MPW distribution (which
included, though it was not supposed to, ResEdit and MacsBug).  I
don't know whether rights in that belong to ICOM (the TMON people) or
TML.  If it's legal, I'd be happy to distribute it.

Now if only Nosy understood the new symbols...

	/JBL
=
Nets: levin@bbn.com  |
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |
POTS: (617)873-3463  |

iron@imag.imag.fr (Francois Menneteau) (03/12/90)

What is the syntax of the Macsbug symbols ? (and is it obliged to search for
the couple LINK/UNLK instructions to find them ?).

Are there other symbolic informations in an application ?

Have SADE symbols the same format as the Macsbug ones ?

(It's because I'm trying to write a symbolic desassembler).

Thanks...