[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Undeletable file

m_rhoten@portia.Stanford.EDU (matt rhoten) (03/06/90)

Hi guys. I accidentally left a bug in a program I'm writing which didn't
check to see whether a certain filename was defined before using it. The
result was a file on my disk with an odd filename. It can't be renamed or
moved - the Finder gives me 'File not found.' It can be thrown away. When
I empty the trash, it goes away - only to reappear when the window it's
in is closed and reopened. DiskTop 1.2 can't delete it - File not found.
I tried using the File Manager (FSDelete?), having gotten the VRefNum
for its volume and everything. It gave me a 'file not found.' So I'm
pretty sure one of the characters is messing up the file in a pretty weird
way. The filename is (ASCII) (0,25,102,12,101,115) (HEX) (0019660C6573).
I think it might be the null or the linefeed.
 Can anyone figure out how to delete the puppy? I haven't tried the
parameter-block routines because I don't know how to use them. It's not
too critical - I'm about to backup by hard drive and partition it, so I'll
have to reinitialize it anyway - but it seems this sort of thing shouldn't
happen... thanks.
 -matt

--
post no .signatures

andyp@gvgpvd.GVG.TEK.COM (Andy Peterman) (03/07/90)

In article <9811@portia.Stanford.EDU> m_rhoten@portia.Stanford.EDU (matt rhoten) writes:
>Hi guys. I accidentally left a bug in a program I'm writing which didn't
>check to see whether a certain filename was defined before using it. The
>result was a file on my disk with an odd filename. It can't be renamed or
>moved - the Finder gives me 'File not found.' It can be thrown away. When
>I empty the trash, it goes away - only to reappear when the window it's
>in is closed and reopened. DiskTop 1.2 can't delete it - File not found.

Hmmm, this sounds like a similar problem I was having a few months ago.
I suddenly was finding files that weren't there.  Some programs could
read them and some couldn't find them.  They couldn't be deleted by
anything.  However, Finder and others would always show them in
file lists.  All of these files were created by MPW 3.1 under System
6.0.4.  When this started to get worse, I finally backed up all the
programs and rebuilt the hard disk.  I then remembered talking to
someone else using the same MPW and System having a similar problem.
He said that under System 6.0.4, there was a bug in the file manager
that would do strange things (like corrupting or destroying files) if
there was a file with an apostrophe in it.  I then went back to MPW 3.0
and System 6.0.3 (paranoia!!) and have since had no problems.

I'm wondering if any of these symptoms match yours?  If more files show
up like that, you might consider re-initializing your HD.  Good luck...

	Andy Peterman

m_rhoten@portia.Stanford.EDU (matt rhoten) (03/07/90)

Actually I was using Lightspeed Pascal 2.0, educational version, on a
SE/30 4/80 under System 6.0.3. I think what happend was that an unitialized
string of the same length as the string I wanted to use to create this
file was used to create it. What is really interesting is that the command
I used is CreateResFile, and the file which appeared has the same size
as another file in the same directory, the one which was supposed to have a
resource fork put in it. No FS routines work - the FS routines can't find it.
I don't know whether it's the null or the linefeed causing the problem.
Anyone know how to use the parameter block routines?
 -matt

--
post no .signatures

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (03/07/90)

In article <1511@gvgpvd.GVG.TEK.COM> andyp@gvgpvd.GVG.TEK.COM (Andy Peterman) writes:

>He said that under System 6.0.4, there was a bug in the file manager
>that would do strange things (like corrupting or destroying files) if
>there was a file with an apostrophe in it.  I then went back to MPW 3.0
>and System 6.0.3 (paranoia!!) and have since had no problems.
>	Andy Peterman

Aha.  I've been using System 6.0.4 for about two weeks now.  Just
recently we created a file named "Beth's star distances".  I believe
the file was created by MacWrite 4.5.

When we displayed the files "By Kind," the type of this file showed up
as "document"; however, the TYPE of OTHER MacWrite documents showed up
as "Beth's star distances".

Rebuilding the desktop restored things to normal (I hope).  So now I
have a possible explanation.

Are you listening, Apple?

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)
-- Unisys Corp. / Paoli Research Center / PO Box 517 / Paoli PA  19301
-- Any resemblance between my opinions and those of my employer is improbable.
  << Those who fail to learn from Unix are doomed to repeat it. >>

joseph@cooper.cooper.EDU (Joe Giannuzzi) (03/14/90)

in article <13053@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM>, dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) says:

> When we displayed the files "By Kind," the type of this file showed up
> as "document"; however, the TYPE of OTHER MacWrite documents showed up
> as "Beth's star distances".

	We are having this problem on a Mac II with a 140 Meg drive.
	We started getting files with the same name, files that couldn't
	be found, files that could be trashed but would then reappear,
	etc. Since all of these bad files were located in the system
	folder, I selected all the files and dragged them to a new
	system folder. Everything that couldn't be moved (the bad
	files) stayed in the old folder, which I then made invisible.

	I know that's an ugly thing to do, but its a temporary kludge
	until I get a chance to archive everything since the last
	backup, and restore the drive.

	Anyway, I remember reading someplace that there is a limit
	to the size of the Desktop file. This was never considered
	a problem because storage media just wasn't that big. Now
	it might be the cause of these problems. I am going to
	break the drive down into many partitions, hoping that
	this will solve the problem.

    | Disclaimer -> Reality is just a figment of your imagination.  |
    | Remember -> Spatula City, for all your spatula needs. (UHF)   |
    | Joseph -> joseph@cooper.cooper.edu OR cmcl2!cooper!joseph	    |