[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Need General Info

lurker@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (James Benton) (03/09/90)

Hi! Ive just started programming with THINK 4.0 on an SE, and
am wondering if anyone would "lend an ear" to a few of the inane
and annoying problems I come up against.  I can already use C,
and have/am worked/ing my way through the Mac Programming Primer.
  Most of my problems seem to be "misconceptions"..
That is, various little things that could be solved INSTANTLY if
I had a human (and not a cabbage or something) to refer to.
  I *promise* to spend at least 1 hour being confused on my own
before I confuse you as well.

  Additionally, if there are any other Mac "C" programmers in a
similar "L'Enfant Terrible" stage, Id love to start up a mailing list.

  Is there a time visible when Apple will take all these Notes and Insides
and Updates and put them all together into a Reference Guide?
Do others find themselves becomming cross-referencing Gurus instead
of Mac programmers!!??!!

"..and they regarded it with intense horror and fear, not understanding the .."
lurker@media-lab.media.mit.edu
Technology and Art Undergroung

coburn@infmx.UUCP (Dave Coburn) (03/10/90)

In article <1792@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> lurker@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (James Benton) writes:

>  Additionally, if there are any other Mac "C" programmers in a
>similar "L'Enfant Terrible" stage, Id love to start up a mailing list.

You can count me in, except I'm trying to learn with Aztec MPW; it's what
my company uses so I don't have the option of using Think (which seems a
little bit easier to use).

While we're on the subject, any recommendations out there for a good manual
or book that will help an experienced C programmer get going?  QUICKLY?

Thanks,

David Coburn
Informix Software
Systems Engineer

Please reply via email to ...{uunet, pyramid}!infmx!coburn

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (03/15/90)

lurker@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (James Benton) writes:
> [Mentions that he's new to programming the Mac, and is using Think C 4.0]

	Gee, sounds vaguely familiar... I'm picking up a ][ci (5/45+45, with
my own hardware) and a two-pager RSN, and I've already got TC 4.0, and am
planning on getting MPW (C, C++, IIgs C, IIgs ASM) fairly soon. I've been
programming on the //gs for a few years, and am familiar with the basic way
that Apple goes about implementing windows, et al. However, aside from scanning
through IM (I've gotten through I-III), I've not dealt with the Mac's guts
at all. I can program in C, assembly ('816 & 68k, but my 68k is weak), and
other assorted languages. I've dealt with a variety of OS'es (lots from the
outside, Apple DOS 3.3, ProDOS, GS/OS, and Unix from the inside) and machines.

	So, I'm not a complete babe-in-the-woods, but I am interested in
hearing about any blatantly obvious (once you've hit them) pitfalls to avoid
regarding TC, MPW, or the Mac in general.

	I'm also interested in dabbling in AppleTalk - I've got Inside AT,
I've read it, and it seems fairly straightforward. Anything nasty there that
should be known about?

>  Additionally, if there are any other Mac "C" programmers in a
>similar "L'Enfant Terrible" stage, Id love to start up a mailing list.

	Sounds good...

>  Is there a time visible when Apple will take all these Notes and Insides
>and Updates and put them all together into a Reference Guide?

	Actually, I believe that there's a HyperCard stack that does something
like this, at least for the tech notes. Speaking of which, is Apple planning
on sticking the entirety of IM I-V, plus the technotes, plus the HIG notes,
all with x-ref onto a CD-ROM? Or have they already done that (or is that what
spInsideMac is?), or what?

--
                      Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP
or, try:         astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jason@spool.cs.wisc.edu