[comp.sys.mac.programmer] launching an application in multifinder

rfl@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Bob Loewenstein) (03/16/90)

I have written a small application that is multifinder aware. However,
when the program launches and builds its document window, the
window is created behind the existing layer. After the program
runs through the rest of its initialization, the window pops into
the foreground and everything works fine.

How do I get the window to appear first in the foreground (in front
of the other layers)...prior to the execution of the init procedure?
I call getNewWindow and setPort when building the window.

mec@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (michael.e.connick) (03/16/90)

In article <8092@tank.uchicago.edu> rfl@oddjob.UChicago.EDU (Bob Loewenstein) writes:
> How do I get the window to appear first in the foreground (in front
> of the other layers)...prior to the execution of the init procedure?
> I call getNewWindow and setPort when building the window.

The window will become frontmost as soon as you call WaitNextEvent or
GetNextEvent.

Michael Connick    mec@mtfmi.ATT.COM    201-957-3057
AT&T Bell Labs     MT 3F-113	        (Dept. 79151)

ml10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael A. Libes) (03/17/90)

> I have written a small application that is multifinder aware. However,
> when the program launches and builds its document window, the
> window is created behind the existing layer. After the program
> runs through the rest of its initialization, the window pops into
> the foreground and everything works fine.

> How do I get the window to appear first in the foreground (in front
> of the other layers)...prior to the execution of the init procedure?
> I call getNewWindow and setPort when building the window.

In the "Programmers Guide to Multifinder," Apple suggests calling "a
bunch" of WaitNextEvent's or EventAvail's.  10 or so EventAvail's will
assure you of having your window appear in the foreground.

    - Luni