[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Naming your Stuffit-packages

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (03/14/90)

I'm not flaming Mac OS or it's file naming policy:-

But what I want to do is PLEASE pay attention to the
naming of binhexed Stuffit files. At least if you are
starting to spread a Stuffit file to ftp sites or BBSs.
Please use a little easier file names that is file
names which dont't have spaces or exclamation or
commas or what ever more unusual characters because
I (and I think some others might as well) use to
unbinhex them in Unix machine and it is not very fun
to rename these (hopefully it can be done...) to more
familiar looking names. Let's assume for example that
you upload a binhexed Stuffit file called
'My Favourite Utilities v1.0.3d2.hqx'
to somewhere and I found it and decide to have a look
at it. I carefully (write it right and) download it
to our Unix machine and then use xbin to unbinhex it.
What I get is a file called
'MyxFavouritexUtilitiesxv1x0x3d2.sit.bin'
Like it, Huh?

Think about that. Thanks for reading this.

--

	----------------Harri Valkama (hv@uwasa.fi)-------------
			University of Vaasa, Finland

ching@pepsi.amd.com (Mike Ching) (03/15/90)

In article <1990Mar14.075223.28847@uwasa.fi> hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) writes:
>I'm not flaming Mac OS or it's file naming policy:-
>
>But what I want to do is PLEASE pay attention to the
>naming of binhexed Stuffit files. At least if you are
>starting to spread a Stuffit file to ftp sites or BBSs.

While we're asking for more thought and work by the stuffer,
I'd like to suggest that people putting together stuffit files help the
rest of us out by stuffing everything into a folder so that unstuffing
will result in a single folder holding all the files. It's hard to
automate unstuffing multiple archives when folders need to be created.

mike ching

ramsey@rbdc (Ramsey Dow) (03/17/90)

A third "while we're at it."  If the application is machine-specific then
_say_so_!!  It's really irritating to FTP a 200k application and then down-
load it to my SE and then unbinhex/unstuffit only to discover that the
blasted thing requires a Mac II.  Grrr.  Please, if an application is for
Mac II's _only_ then say so!  If it will work on Pluses and SEs then say so!

An irate downloader...
--
    My damnable, reddening vision    |Ramsey Dow, starving undergraduate
That build a new world for my seeing;|UUCP: {...}gatech!kd4nc!rbdc!ramsey