[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MPW 3.0 & 3.1

chrism@col.hp.com (Chris Magnuson) (03/02/90)

  Could somebody tell me what the differences are between MPW 3.0 and 3.1?
Why would I want to change to 3.1?  I was told that the linker was buggy, but
are there other problems?  And what exactly was wrong with the linker?

  Thanks for your help.
  Chris Magnuson

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (03/05/90)

In article <490001@col.hp.com> chrism@col.hp.com (Chris Magnuson) writes:

>  Could somebody tell me what the differences are between MPW 3.0 and 3.1?
>Why would I want to change to 3.1?  I was told that the linker was buggy, but
>are there other problems?  And what exactly was wrong with the linker?
>
>  Thanks for your help.
>  Chris Magnuson

If they aren't there already, I'll see if I can't get the MPW 3.1 release notes
posted the the Apple ftp site. I don't want to post them here, as they are
rather lengthy.

However, it wasn't the linker that was bad. It was the C compiler. With MPW 3.0,
we came up with our own C compiler, rather than using Green Hills's. As such,
it had a number of problems that needed to be fixed with a 3.1 release. A
number of minor bugs were fixed in the Pascal compiler as well.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

chrism@col.hp.com (Chris Magnuson) (03/20/90)

OK, so how do I access the Apple ftp host?

Thanks,
Chris Magnuson
.