[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Upgrading MPW, and TCL

chi@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Curt Hagenlocher) (03/21/90)

In article <10287@unix.SRI.COM> mxmora@unix.UUCP (Matt Mora) writes:

>I also think that is should be unbundled (the class library).  But
>maybe it can't. I'm glad that TP3.0 will support MacApp. I bought
>MPW when it was 2.0.2 with the pascal compiler. It cost a bundle.
>I didn't upgrade to 3.0 because it was still beta so I kept using
>TP. The upgrade also was also mucho bucks. So I waited. I called
>last week to upgrade MPW to 3.0 whatever and the said there is
>no upgrade path from 2.0.2 you have to buy the whole thing again!
>
>Apple's not making enough profit on their hardware so now they have to screw
>the little developers. *uck them.
>
>That $69 is looking a lot better.

Our group at JPL was able to upgrade from MPW 2.0.2 to MPW 3.1 for
$80.  We did this through Language Systems, from whom we have
purchased FORTRAN, not APDA.  However, I can't imagine that Language
Systems would take a loss on MPW.

*Change of Subject*

Has anyone with both MPW C++ and THINK C 4.0 considered porting the
THINK Class Library to C++?  I really like the THINK environment for
developing, especially speed (and MPW's current CFront is unbelievably
slow, even on a 68030 machine...), but I much prefer using CFront 2.0
for certain things.  The problem is, of course, that the two do not
mix.  This would be alleviated somewhat if I had access to TCL from
MPW.

Hmm.  What I should really be asking, given the response to my previous
MPW C++ bug report/question, is ``Is anyone out there using the damn
thing?''

I thought not.

---
...!ames!elroy!cit-vax!chi       Curt Hagenlocher       chi@cit-vax.caltech.edu
"But Calvin is no kind and loving god!  He's one of the _old_ gods!
He demands sacrifice!"