[comp.sys.mac.programmer] another user-unfriendly policy ?

werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (03/24/90)

In article <39781@apple.Apple.COM> jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) writes:
> Dear Jim,
>  We offered an upgrade program for those folks that wanted to update from
>MPW 2.0.2 to MPW 3.0 that lasted 13 months.  Given that the industry standard
>seems to be in the range of three to four months, I think that we did a
>very nice job.
>  In fact, we are now limiting our update programs to 90 days.  If you don't
>buy it during those 90 days, then you miss out.

	since when is emulating a "bad idea" becoming a "good idea" ?!?

	Dear Jordan,

	anyone who wants to do business with me and who gets into the
	act of putting a gun to my head with the words:  "either you
	buy this upgrade within the next 3 months, or f*ck you"
	certainly makes my hit-list of companies I love to hate.

	what if I don't have a need or can afford to upgrade during
	the three months?  why would you want to punish me for it?
	I certainly didn't quietly benefit of anything that I'd owe
	money for during those 3 months, or?  Why would you want to
	piss me off 2 years later when I like and have use for the
	latest update by telling me: "ah, but you didn't fork over the
	money for the last 2 updates so go and buy a brand-new copy,
	we won't sell you an upgrade"?  It really boggles my mind,
	so shortsighted and unfriendly a policy that seems to be.

	Is this Apple practicing the art of customer satisfaction
	I see here?  "well, we gave them a longer hardware warranty,
	so lets get it back by charging more for software, guys..."

	lovely, just lovely ...(sadly shaking my head ...)

				(No) Cheers,		---Werner