[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MAC cross development tools wanted

xm50@sdcc12.ucsd.edu (don bowmen) (03/27/90)

	I have recently been drug kicking and screeming into the MAC
world.  We want to use the MAC for cross development and a major
complaint of mine is the derth of cross development tools.  As of Friday I
have a MAC IIcx on my desk and now I need information.

	Are there any beginners books on the MAC that do not start
out by telling me what a computer is?  I have a lot of experience with
processor development using MSDOS and UNIX so I need a book that will be a
permanate reference but will help me get started.

	The current target processor is a 68000 which will be used in a
space borne satellite communication system.  Are there any cross development
tools for the MAC?  We need C and assembly for the 68000 family and for
the MCS 51 family.  I still have the AT in my office so this last
requirement is not important.  The product should be robust and have a
professional feel.  Tools I currently use for the 68000 are from Micro Tech.
For the 80152 I use the Franklin compiler.  The 68000 emulator is the
Applied Micro Systems with either ESD or VXICE running on the AT.
For the 152 we use the Meta Link.

	Any help will be appreciated.
	DonB

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (03/27/90)

Dear Don -
	You might want to check into the cross assemblers and compilers (for
C and Modula-2) that Introl offers.  They run under the Macintosh Programmers
Workshop which, though I am biased, I think you will find a fine development
environment.
	For more information, contact Rich Pennington of Introl at 414-276-
2937.

--

Jordan Mattson                         UUCP:      jordan@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.                   CSNET:     jordan@apple.CSNET

ldg@yoda.byu.edu (03/27/90)

In <9323@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, don bowmen asks about cross-development tools
for the Mac. Among his interests is the MCS 51 family...

Here's a source for a wide variety of cross-ASSEMBLERS for the Mac and
various microprocesssors:

Micro Dialects
P.O. Box 30014
Cincinnati OH  45230
[513] 271-9100

I plan to purchase their assembler for the 8051 family.

They include a nice editor and basic terminal program for transferring
your compiled code to your EPROM programmer or whatever.

For those readers who have thought it would be interesting to build a
project involving a microprocessor, an easy way to get started is with
Intel's 8052AHBASIC chip, a $25 part that includes a microprocessor, serial
communications, EPROM programming ability, BASIC interpreter and built-in
timing functions. All you really need to program in BASIC is the chip, an
address latch chip ($0.79), some SRAM (cheap or scroungable) and a terminal
to talk to it. Add a few more components to program EPROMs, turn on your
lights, read keyboards, etc. Intel has a book out on the chip (order
#270010-003) with sample schematics and programming details. Lots of
potential fun.

Lyle D. Gunderson N6KSZ | "Any technology without       | ldg@yoda.byu.edu
350 CB/BYU              | some attendant risk of misuse | CIS: 73760,2354
Provo UT 84602          | is probably trivial"          | GEnie: L.GUNDERSON

rdclark@Apple.COM (Richard Clark) (03/28/90)

In article <9323@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> xm50@sdcc12.ucsd.edu (don bowmen) writes:
>	The current target processor is a 68000 which will be used in a
>space borne satellite communication system.  Are there any cross development
>tools for the MAC?  We need C and assembly for the 68000 family and for
>the MCS 51 family.  I still have the AT in my office so this last
>requirement is not important.  The product should be robust and have a
>professional feel.

Don --

  The current issue of MacTutor has 2 advertisements in it: 1 from Grammar
Engine, Inc (which builds a ROM emulator, and who claims to have
cross-assemblers and cross-compilers) at (614)471-1113 (or (415)595-2252),
and the other from Micro Dialects, Inc. at (513)271-9100. (I'm not sure that
the latter supports the 68000 family.) I think that American Automation ((714)
731-1661) still has their MPW-based cross-assemblers and C Cross-compilers
available, but  they still don't have In-Circuit Emulators which work with
the Macintosh. (Disclaimer: I used to work for AmAuto, and was responsible
for the Macintosh-based software.)

--
Richard Clark                | "If you don't know where you're going,