[comp.sys.mac.programmer] GNU tools on Mac OS?

dlw@aspen.IAG.HP.COM (David Williams) (03/27/90)

Has anyone ported the GNU environment to the Mac OS?

	- gnuemacs
	- gcc
	- g++
	- gdb
	- bison
	- flex
	- grep
	- gnu smalltalk

	etc.

It would be a much cheaper way to end up having C++ on one's machine as well
as some other nice tools. Could Think C be a starting point to moving this
stuff to the mac...FSF's opinions of Apple notwithstanding?

Just curious,

David
       David L. Williams -- hplabs!dlw -- dlw@iag.hp.com -- 408 447-5425
             Hewlett Packard -- Information Architecture Group
                   Distributed Application Architecture
	                19046 Pruneridge Ave MS: 46G
			     Cupertino CA
                                  *

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (03/27/90)

In article <1730002@aspen.IAG.HP.COM> dlw@aspen.IAG.HP.COM (David Williams) writes:
>Has anyone ported the GNU environment to the Mac OS?
>
>	- gnuemacs
>	- gcc
>	- g++
>	- gdb
>	- bison
>	- flex
>	- grep
>	- gnu smalltalk
>
>	etc.
>
>It would be a much cheaper way to end up having C++ on one's machine as well
>as some other nice tools. Could Think C be a starting point to moving this
>stuff to the mac...FSF's opinions of Apple notwithstanding?

I heard of someone doing this once (don't know where). The solution may not be
so cheap. The gcc compiler required at least 5 megs of memory in which to
compile. Silly thing assumed that it was running on a machine with VM, and we
don't quite have that yet. If you don't have at least a 5 meg machine, then
you'll have to add some memory. If you don't have a machine into which you can
insert 5 meg of memory, then...

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

nebel@wam.umd.edu (Chris D. Nebel) (03/28/90)

In article <1730002@aspen.IAG.HP.COM> dlw@aspen.IAG.HP.COM (David Williams) writes:
>Has anyone ported the GNU environment to the Mac OS?

I know Flex and Bison have been ported to the Mac.  Flex made it over as an MPW
tool, not an application; I think Bison did too, but I'm not sure.  They should
be availible on sumex-aim.

Chris Nebel
nebel@wam.umd.edu

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (03/28/90)

In article <1990Mar27.171820.17154@wam.umd.edu>, nebel@wam.umd.edu (Chris D. Nebel) writes...
 >In article <1730002@aspen.IAG.HP.COM> dlw@aspen.IAG.HP.COM (David Williams) writes:
>>Has anyone ported the GNU environment to the Mac OS?
>
>I know Flex and Bison have been ported to the Mac.  Flex made it over as an MPW
>tool, not an application; I think Bison did too, but I'm not sure.  They should
>be availible on sumex-aim.

I think that both Flex and Bison are available as MPW tools from apple.com
anonymous FTP.

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (03/28/90)

nebel@wam.umd.edu (Chris D. Nebel) writes:

>In article <1730002@aspen.IAG.HP.COM> dlw@aspen.IAG.HP.COM (David Williams) writes:
>>Has anyone ported the GNU environment to the Mac OS?

>I know Flex and Bison have been ported to the Mac.  Flex made it over as an MPW
>tool, not an application; I think Bison did too, but I'm not sure.  They should
>be availible on sumex-aim.

egrep, gawk, tar, and sed have also been ported to MPW.

There are others as well, but I don't recall what they are.
--
Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.

nrjwong@lion.waterloo.edu (03/28/90)

In article <1730002@aspen.IAG.HP.COM> dlw@aspen.IAG.HP.COM (David Williams) writes:
>Has anyone ported the GNU environment to the Mac OS?

[Stuf Deleted]
>	etc.
>
>It would be a much cheaper way to end up having C++ on one's machine as well
>as some other nice tools. Could Think C be a starting point to moving this
>stuff to the mac...FSF's opinions of Apple notwithstanding?
>
>Just curious,

Hey great, gcc on the mac. Alright. Now let's see if it can compile
Nethack 3... (MPW chokes like when I drink strong liquor :-))

If sed, awk, egrep have been ported,  then where are they?
Can I ftp them from somewhere?

I've got Bison working kinda as a stand-alone app (only works once,
then it starts spewing garbage).
Flex just barfs and produces system errors.

I've also got GNU Diff 1.14 up. Handles only text files.

Tried to get patch running but it barfed and almost took my hard drive
with it!

Oh. Nethack 3 too. Sorry, couldn't resist. :-)

THINK C is one way of getting the stuff over, but I think MPW
is a better platform for the stuff, since you can do pseudo-pipe, etc.

Johnny Lee
jlee4@orchid.waterloo.edu or reply to this account

rsfinn@athena.mit.edu (Russell S. Finn) (03/28/90)

I recently posted versions of Bison and Flex that will compile under
THINK C 4.0 to create stand-alone applications to comp.binaries.mac.  No
telling how long it will take before they propagate out to the rest of
the world; in the meantime, if you're desperate, let me know and I'll
mail them to you.  But only if you're desperate; full source code is
included, so they're pretty big...

-- Russ
rsfinn@{athena,neutron.lcs}.mit.edu

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon Watte) (03/28/90)

I know that Johnny Lee, the guy who did the port of NetHack to
the mac we're now working with, has ported Bison and Flex as
stand-alone applications.

Maybe he posted them to comp.binaries.mac ?

Johhny, are you out here ?

h+
--
   ---  Stay alert !  -  Trust no one !  -  Keep your laser handy !  ---
             h+@nada.kth.se  ==  h+@proxxi.se  ==  Jon Watte

es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Warren Selberg) (03/29/90)

tell me, since Apple is making Gnu C, are they taking the philosophy of
public domain and making GNU C free?  8)

#========##========##========##========*========##========##========##========#
# MegaloErik: Loosing contact with VICE 10...  Welcome to Andrew!             #
# ARPA: es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu  Fido: 129/107  BBS: Mac @ Night  (412) 268-8974 #
#   GEnie: E.SELBERG   Delphi: LORDERIK   CIS: 71470,2127   MacList: 6009/1   #
#========##========##========##========*========##========##========##========#

...48 hours of continuous study have proven that Elvis is alive and teaching
math at CMU.

coolidge@casca.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (03/29/90)

es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Warren Selberg) writes:
>tell me, since Apple is making Gnu C, are they taking the philosophy of
>public domain and making GNU C free?  8)

They would have to, unless they want to provide the long-awaited and
feared test case against the FSF (given the look-and-feel boycott,
maybe it would be appropriate). The Gnu Public License requires that
changes made to Gnu code have to be released if the changed version
is distributed. I suspect that Apple will be happy to comply with
the license, so both Gnu C and the source changes should be free.

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1990 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (03/29/90)

coolidge@casca.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) writes:

>es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Warren Selberg) writes:
>>tell me, since Apple is making Gnu C, are they taking the philosophy of
>>public domain and making GNU C free?  8)

>is distributed. I suspect that Apple will be happy to comply with
>the license, so both Gnu C and the source changes should be free.

Considering that they already have done so with the GCC port to A/UX that
David Berry of Apple did (both source and A/UX binaries are available for
anon ftp from apple.com), it'd be surprising indeed if they didn't
follow the same route with the MacOS GCC port.
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (03/30/90)

In article <8a4EEt_00WI1E9F18B@andrew.cmu.edu> es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik
Warren Selberg) writes:
> tell me, since Apple is making Gnu C, are they taking the philosophy of
> public domain and making GNU C free?  8)

Who said that we were going to distribute GCC under anything other than
A/UX?

                                Paul Snively
                      Macintosh Developer Technical Support
                             Apple Computer, Inc.

1st Choice: Paul_Snively.DTS@qm.gateway.apple.com
2nd Choice: CHEWBACCA@applelink.apple.com
Last Choice: chewy@apple.com

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that I believe
what they believe, or vice-versa.

chris@imagine.ADMS-RAD.Unisys.COM (Chris Sterritt) (03/30/90)

In article <10961@claris.com> drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) writes:
>nebel@wam.umd.edu (Chris D. Nebel) writes:
>>In article <1730002@aspen.IAG.HP.COM> dlw@aspen.IAG.HP.COM (David Williams) writes:
>>>Has anyone ported the GNU environment to the Mac OS?
>>I know Flex and Bison have been ported to the Mac.  Flex made it over as an MPW
>>tool, not an application; I think Bison did too, but I'm not sure.  They should
>>be availible on sumex-aim.
>egrep, gawk, tar, and sed have also been ported to MPW.

Could some kind MPW-ite do whatever is necessary to get these over to the
Rest of Us(tm)?  These are tools I'd like to have, EVEN IF ALL I GET IS SOME
command-line type of interface.

	thanks,
	chris sterritt

Chris Sterritt - chris@adms-rad.unisys.com - "PACWWTRSPOPDATBOTDR"  President
PACWWTRSPOPDATBOTDR: "Philadelphia Area Citizens Who Want the 'Rocky'
Statue Placed on Permanent Display at the Bottom of the Delaware River."

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (03/30/90)

In article <1990Mar28.011005.8521@athena.mit.edu> rsfinn@athena.mit.edu
(Russell S. Finn) writes:
>I recently posted versions of Bison and Flex that will compile under
>THINK C 4.0 to create stand-alone applications to comp.binaries.mac.  No
>telling how long it will take before they propagate out to the rest of
>the world; in the meantime, if you're desperate, let me know and I'll
>mail them to you.  But only if you're desperate; full source code is
>included, so they're pretty big...

So why not post it to comp.SOURCES.mac???

Some of us live on systems where the owners (rightly) have a grudge
against no-source-code software, so they don't carry the binary groups.
Why in the name of Beelzebub would people post their SOURCES to the
BINARIES group?

FROM THE FOOL FILE:
"In any religion or form of worship, followers should be allowed to think
 for themselves.  In every religion that has a god other than Jesus Christ,
 adherents are not allowed to think for themselves."
    -- Lauren Stratford, "Satan's Underground"

rsfinn@athena.mit.edu (Russell S. Finn) (03/30/90)

Following many people's suggestions, I have also submitted my THINK C
versions of Bison and Flex to info-mac, in an attempt to perform an
end-around of comp.binaries.mac.  So presumably they will be appearing
at sumex-aim.stanford.edu for anonymous FTP soon.

-- Russ
rsfinn@{athena,neutron.lcs}.mit.edu

es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Warren Selberg) (03/30/90)

no one, I just head that it was a drop-in replacement for MPW C, so I was
wondering (half-heartedly) if you were making the source + executable files
public domain.