[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Graf3D?

rcook@eagle.wesleyan.edu (04/12/90)

LightSpeed Pascal devoted two whole pages to it...

THINK Pascal 2.0 bundled it with the compiler...

THINK Pascal 3.0 did the same and gave it an entry in the index and one line in
the text...

But no one seems to know how to use . . .

		***  Graf3D  ***

If anyone can answer any of the following (via e-mail or posting) I can
summarize to the net if desired:

* How do you use Graf3D?
* Where do you find out about it?
* Is it in a tech note somewhere?
* Is it a good package?

On a larger scale, are there any really good 3D graphics libraries available
for the Mac or do I have to write my own? :-)

I realize that talking about graphics packages can open a hefty can of worms,
but I would like something that can

* draw lines and polygons
* fill in or shade polygons

and here's the tough one:

* does hidden surface removal

Not knowing much about commercial graphics packages, I don't know what I can
expect, but if you know about any good 3D graphics packages out there please
let me know.  I don't care about color and don't have a coprocessor, but will
take anything in Pascal or C.  Thanks in advance.

Randall Cook
rcook@eagle.wesleyan.edu

In article <16958@eagle.wesleyan.edu> rcook@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>		***  Graf3D  ***
>
>If anyone can answer any of the following (via e-mail or posting) I can
>summarize to the net if desired:
>
>* How do you use Graf3D?
>* Where do you find out about it?
>* Is it in a tech note somewhere?
>* Is it a good package?
Graf3D is documented in the MPW C manual, probably the MPW Pascal manual,
the MacPascal manual, and the old Lisa Quickdraw manuals.
It sucks.  It is slow, and the co-ordinate systems seem to be inconsistent.
Flames from graf3D lovers to root@apple.com-- they need the ego-boost.

>but I would like something that can

>* draw lines and polygons

Graf3D can draw lines....

>* fill in or shade polygons

Nope.  No way.

>* does hidden surface removal

Not Graf3D.
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?

pane@cat.cmu.edu (John Pane) (04/13/90)

>Not knowing much about commercial graphics packages, I don't know what I can
>expect, but if you know about any good 3D graphics packages out there please
>let me know.  I don't care about color and don't have a coprocessor, but will
>take anything in Pascal or C.  Thanks in advance.

APDA sells a source code package called "3d Graphic Tools".  Versions are
available for MPW C, Think C, or Think Pascal.  I think it does everything
Graf3d does, plus surface shading, clipping and hidden line/surface removal,
BSplines, and more.  And it has a manual!

There is no license fee for using this software in a product.

I recently got a copy of version 2.0, and am happy with it so far.  The
latest APDA catalog advertises version 3.0.  I don't know what's new or
different.

--
John Pane						pane+@cs.cmu.edu
School of Computer Science