[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MacApp and C++

hammersslammers1@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) (04/15/90)

I finally decided to sit down and start working on The Great American
Macintosh Program, so I spent an afternoon putting MPW 3.1 on my hard disk,
installing C++ in the folder and then putting MacApp on. Which brings me to
a couple of questions. It seems that my MacApp 2.0b9 disk #6 has gone south
on me while I have doing unimportant things like finishing up final exams
and such. There are about 4 or five files that will not copy from the disk
to my hard drive, and I am suspicious that there may be another couple of
files that have just disappeared. So, my first question is this. Could
anyone who has a copy of 2.0b9 be kind enough to send me a catalog of what
was on disk #6 so I can compare it to the files I have to see if my floppy
is as bad as I think it was. Next, does anyone know of any way for me to get
a replacement floppy from APDA? If I just givew them a call, will they ship
me out a new one? Alternatively, could someone tell me what the contents of
the files "UCards.inc.1", "UCards.p", "DemoDialogs.r", and "DemoHexData.r"
were? These are files that were definitely bogus, ie they wouldn't copy from
the floppy to the HD.

In another subject, I remeber some talk of how to use MacApp from C++, but
now I can't find the pertinent information anywhere among my many saved
messages. Was there any definitive explanation given by someone at DTS as to
the exact calling conventions and such? I have all the header files for
MacApp, I just dont know how to use them.

Anyway, sorry for wasting all your valuable time, but if you can dash off a
quick message, it would be greatly appreciated.

advaTHANKSnce

David

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (04/15/90)

In article <87937@tiger.oxy.edu> hammersslammers1@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) writes:
>In another subject, I remeber some talk of how to use MacApp from C++, but
>now I can't find the pertinent information anywhere among my many saved
>messages. Was there any definitive explanation given by someone at DTS as to
>the exact calling conventions and such? I have all the header files for
>MacApp, I just dont know how to use them.

David,

I think that any general advice might take up too much room to iterate
here.  Saying "I have all the header files for MacApp, I just dont know
how to use them." is like saying "I have all the header files for the
Macintosh ROMs, I just dont know how to use them." If you have any
specific questions, I'm sure that the net can help you out.

In the meantime, you might want to check out the books available for
MacApp, and/or delve through the samples. Dave Wilson (whose been
teaching MacApp programming for over 3 years), Larry Rosenstein (who
was one of the original MacApp engineers), and Dan Schafer (author of
several Macintosh programming books) have just released a book from
Addison-Wesley-Crusher called "Programming with MacApp". It takes you
from the beginnings of learning MacApp and object-oriented programming,
to completing a full MacApp program. On-disk software is included.

By the way, support for C++ in the MacApp 2.0b9 build system is
minimal.  It can be done, but much in the same way that my mechanic can
change the exhaust manifold on my Honda; you've got to know what you
are doing.  MacApp 2.0 final will have complete and transparent support
for C++. It will also have 3 C++ samples: Nothing, DemoDialogs, and
DemoText.

Some dates of interest: C++ final will be at APDA at the end of June.
MacApp 2.0 final will be available at the end of April.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions