[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MacApp, can't compile with symbols

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/02/90)

In article <1990Apr30.132058.22859@asterix.drev.dnd.ca> louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca (Louis Demers) writes:
>Enviroonement:
>	MPW 3.1 and all tools (C,C++,Pascal...) 3.1, MacApp 2.0b9
>	All of MPW 3.1 is from the CD-ROM (wich I think have the
>	tables already in the resource fork of the headers)
>	System 6.0.5
>	Mac II with PMMU, 8Mbytes,150 Mb disk
>
>Background:
>	I am trying to use the Debugger and its incremental link system.
>	But before, I have to build (master build) my application
>	with the debugging info.  I tried to build the DrawShapes
>	example.
>Problem:
>	I can compile and link the application with the non-debug option
>	but when I try with the debug option, I keep crashing, either
>	during the building of the MacApp.lib (with the autobuild option)
>	or during the building of the application itself.
>
>	On some occasion, I notice that some MacApp files had their
>	dates changed. I reinstalled those files in case they had been
>	corrupted (once had this problem with 3.0).
>
>	When I do get the thing compiled and linked, Rez complains that
>	the application DrawShapes is corrupt.  Using rezdet on it
>	also reports problems usually of the type "data item inconsistent
>	size 402345 with only 203124 bytes left to read" (from memory ;)
>
>Tried solutions:
>	I tried with and without Multifinder.
>		didn't help
>	I tried the pascal option -clean
>		didn't help
>	I tried the pascal option -rebuild
>		didn't help
>	I tried upping the HEXA#11 to 0x18000 in the pascal tools.
>		helped a bit, I could then consistenly build the application
>		without the debug info.
>	I then tried larger values for HEXA#11 in the pascal tool (0x40000)
>		didn't help.
>	I tried upping the HEXA#128 in MPWShell.
>		didn't help
>	I wanted to try the -b option of the linker.
>		obsolete option it said...
>
>	Anybody can tell me how to build a MacApp application with the
>	debugging info ? Is it possible ?

Louis,

It sounds like you are doing all the right things to fix the problem
you are having. I'd like to help you out, but you didn't really give a
good description of what the problem was. "I keep crashing..." is all
you say. By this, do you mean that you keep crashing into the debugger?
Or do you just get error messages in MPW? If so, what error messages
are you getting? If you are crashing into the debugger, have you tried
removing the Debugger? Despite all the rave reviews about it, I have
never been able to get Jasik's debugger to work for me, as I keep
crashing into it. I also don't trust a debugger that needs to know
about MPW by forcing you to run an InformDbgr tool first.

At any rate, yes, on an 8 Meg Mac II, it is possible to build a MacApp
application with debugging symbols.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions