[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MPW 3.1 update extended indefinitely

39clocks@violet.berkeley.edu (05/02/90)

In article <9033@tank.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>I called up APDA to inquire whether today was the last day for the MPW 3.1
>upgrades.  I was told that the upgrades had been extended indefinitely,
>probably until the _next_ upgrade of MPW came out.
>
>Thanks Apple!  Now I can pay this month's bills and get my upgrades when my
>finances allow.
My guess is that they were not getting people to upgrade to 3.1 in anywhere
near the numbers that they expected, particularly in the case of "cross
language" upgrades that qualify one to purchase the "Macintosh Programmer's
Workshop Suite" (a value added CD-ROM version of MPW C and Pascal) in the
future.
This is just a guess.  I don't have any numbers to back it up.

I don't know about you, but I think that APDA is going about this MPW Suite
thing the wrong way.  In case you are unfamiliar with the concept, I will
briefly explain it as I understand it.  In Apple's never ending quest to
sell expensive hardware and find a less expensive way of distributing software,
they have decided to release MPW on CD-ROM. The only catch is that you must
own both MPW C and MPW Pascal, presumably because the disc will contain
both of these compilers, to buy the CD.

Now if I am programming in C, why would I want Pascal?  Because I want to
use MPW C++ interfaces to MACAPP so that I can write programs lickity-split
style.  MACAPP, of course, is written in Pascal.  Don't get me wrong, I
think it is great that MPW C++ comes with interfaces to MACAPP and MACAPP is
great (or so I hear), but the real issue here is that there is no comperable
object library available for MPW C++, _yet_!

I wonder how many C programmers out there are going to want buy MPW Pascal
so they can get future MPW upgrades on CD-ROM (at a lower price it appears) and
have access to MACAPP.  And conversly, I wonder how many Pascal programmers
will want to buy the MPW C compiler just to get upgrades on CD-ROM.  Maybe
they have always wanted to tinker with C, but never thought about buying it
before, back when it was reasonably priced (the cost of upgrading to the
"other" language up until last Feb  28 was $50 ($245 - $195), it now costs
$150.)

Now it looks like a one can save some money buying the CD-ROM versions of
upgrades.  For example, the C/Pascal update costs $100 on floppys and only
$50 on CD, but I'm not sure if this is a clever trick on the part of Apple
or whether reflects the true difference in costs between production and
distribution on the two mediums.

Here's my suggetion, because, yes I do want to buy CD-ROM upgrades and get
all those neat value added goodies that APDA promises to stock the CD with,
but no I don't want to, nor do I think that I should have to, purchase MPW
Pascal (as I prefer C) just for the price of admission.  Put everything that
is part of the MPW environment on the CD-ROM except the C and Pascal compilers,
and the C++ and MACAPP tools.  Each of these could be placed on a separate
disk with their most recent include/header/interface,etc. files, so that
APDA could continue to sell the languages as separate products.  You want C,
you get a CD and a disk, same with Pascal.  You want C++ or MacApp, you get
a CD and two disks (that's a lot better than 24 disks).

Under this scenario the CD-ROM would serve as the distribution method for
everything that either common to all languages, or that can only be used
if the owner also owns the compiler for the language.  So we're talking
the shell, tools (including Asm and SADE), Rincludes, C library and includes,
C++ files, Pascal libraries, MacApp files, etc., and those nifty value
added goodies.  The MacApp libraries can be built in all the various ways,
debuggin on/off, so that a C++ programmer would have no need for the
Pascal compiler.  (What's that?, a voice in the distance just told me that
MacApp is not a tool, it's a mass of Pascal source.  That's O.K., CD-ROM
only  needs compiled object files, or library files.)

                                                    Peter

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (05/02/90)

In article <1990May2.071040.19290@agate.berkeley.edu>
39clocks@violet.berkeley.edu writes:
> I don't know about you, but I think that APDA is going about this MPW
Suite
> thing the wrong way.  In case you are unfamiliar with the concept, I will
> briefly explain it as I understand it.
[Lots of good points deleted for the sake of brevity]

This all sounds pretty good except for a few points:

1) (Fact) SADE is a separate beast from the MPW suite, and (Opinion) I'm
   pretty sure that lots of people would balk at the idea of having to pay for
   its inclusion on the CD-ROM.

2) (Opinion) Putting precompiled MacApp in all of the possible incarnations
   that people would want it in on the CD-ROM would be silly--there are too
   many permutations to make that practical.

3) (Opinion) if you want a good class library, MacApp is an _excellent_ class
   library, and it's worth buying the Pascal compiler just to be able to use
   it, even if you're writing in C++.

4) (Fact) it is considerably less expensive for us to produce a single CD-ROM
   than for us to produce 24 floppies.

Basically apart from the precompiled MacApp problem, the other suggestions
seem good aside from minor logistical quibbles (like that
shipping a CD-ROM _and_ a couple of floppies would pose a logistical
hassle).  Still, I don't think that's an overriding concern.

Rick?  Or anyone else from APDA?

                                Paul Snively
                      Macintosh Developer Technical Support
                             Apple Computer, Inc.

1st Choice: Paul_Snively.DTS@gateway.qm.apple.com
2nd Choice: CHEWBACCA@applelink.apple.com
Last Choice: chewy@apple.com

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that I believe
what they believe, or vice-versa.

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (05/03/90)

In article <8008@goofy.Apple.COM> chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) writes:
> 1) (Fact) SADE is a separate beast from the MPW suite

Oops.  Sheesh--you can tell I haven't personally had to purchase MPW
recently!

Our friends in product management tell me that SADE _is_ part of the MPW
bundles.

This is one instance in which I'm happy to be corrected; that means that
the MPW bundles have even more value than I thought, since our
source-level debugging system is included.  (For those who might not have
used all of these tools together, let me tell you, SADE comes in really
handy when you're wandering around in a MacApp program!)

Many thanks to Jordan Mattson for pointing out the error of my ways. :-)

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/03/90)

In article <1990May2.071040.19290@agate.berkeley.edu> 39clocks@violet.berkeley.edu writes:
>Now if I am programming in C, why would I want Pascal?  Because I want to
>use MPW C++ interfaces to MACAPP so that I can write programs lickity-split
>style.  MACAPP, of course, is written in Pascal.  Don't get me wrong, I
>think it is great that MPW C++ comes with interfaces to MACAPP and MACAPP is
>great (or so I hear), but the real issue here is that there is no comperable
>object library available for MPW C++, _yet_!

Larry briefly hit on this point in his response, but I wanted to
emphasize it. If you by MacApp on CD-ROM, then you get over 20
pre-built configurations.  This obviates the need for Pascal (of
course, this doesn't take into account that Pascal is a way cool
language and doesn't need to have its existance justified  :-).

>Now it looks like a one can save some money buying the CD-ROM versions of
>upgrades.  For example, the C/Pascal update costs $100 on floppys and only
>$50 on CD, but I'm not sure if this is a clever trick on the part of Apple
>or whether reflects the true difference in costs between production and
>distribution on the two mediums.

Other people have responded to other parts of your letter. I just
wanted add here that I think I heard that the breakpoint for CD-ROM
prices was something like two floppies. In other words, if we were to
ship something that required more than two floppies, then it's cheaper
for us to ship it on CD instead.  It's not some clever trick.  We WANT
to make things cheaper for you, and this is just one way of doing it.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions