[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Accessing the APPL resources in the desktop file.

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/02/90)

In article <14850@reed.UUCP> chaffee@reed.bitnet (Alex Chaffee) writes:
>In article <500@lily.warwick.ac.uk> cstxqee@warwick.ac.uk (Flash) writes:
>>
>>How can I access the 'APPL' resources in the desktop file.  I've opened it
>>read-only so I can have access while under Multifinder.  I dont want to
>>alter the resources just scan through them to find out where all the
>>Applications on a volume are.  Before anyone mails me telling me that the
>>APPL resources dont only hold Applications and that when you delete an
>>application the approp resource isnt deleted, I already know :-)
>
>The desktop file is obsolete.  Apple now endorses the use of the Desktop
>Manager INIT for non-AppleShare Macs.  DM replaces the Desktop file with two
>files of its own, so even if the Desktop file hasn't been deleted (on a
>machine running DM), its information will probably be out of date.  Unless
>you can find out the format of the Desktop Manager's files, looks like
>you're down to a total scan of the disk...

I don't believe that we endorse the use of the Desktop Manager on anything
other than AppleShare volumes. There are problems with doing so, as another
poster recently noted. As such, the desktop file is NOT yet obsolete.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

billkatt@mondo.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) (05/03/90)

In article <79978@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Edwin L King <elk@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

> The Desktop Manager is great and all that, but I have one problem
>with it. It will not allow me to unmount my SCSI partitions without
>doing a shutdown/restart. Partitions are true SCSI partitions created
>with GCC's new Disk Manager 6.0.
> This may be a nit-pick but it is annoying enough to me that I have
>stopped using it. Does anyone have a workaround?

There is an App to hack your finder.  It is called DM-fix and is probably on
Sumex somewhere.  Alternatively, upgrade to system 6.0.4 or 6.0.5, as finders
6.1.4 and 6.1.5 work correctly with the DM without patching.

I can mount and unmount SCSI partitions as I wish.

The BIG problem is you will have to up the maximum number of files open at
once, since the DM opens TWO files for each partition instead of one.

Steve Bollinger                                                    ____/|
909 Church St. Apt C                                               \ o.O|
Ann Arbor, Mi. 48104                                                =(_)=
(313)-662-4073 -home (313)-763-3070 -work                             U
billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu                               -ACK ACK ACK ACK!
                                                              "thhhhppppttt!"

pvh@Apple.COM (Pete Helme) (05/03/90)

>The desktop file is obsolete.  Apple now endorses the use of the Desktop
>Manager INIT for non-AppleShare Macs.

uh... it is?  we do?

Pete Helme
MacDTS
Apple Computer

(these opnions are mine... you can't have them)

In article <40699@apple.Apple.COM> pvh@Apple.COM (Pete Helme) writes:

>>The desktop file is obsolete.  Apple now endorses the use of the Desktop
>>Manager INIT for non-AppleShare Macs.
>
>uh... it is?  we do?

Yes, you do, at least DTS does.  DM is distributed with Oscar, DTS's goofy
but useful file transfer utility.  Read the dox that come with it for more info.

-Steve Bollinger

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (05/04/90)

In article <40699@apple.Apple.COM> pvh@Apple.COM (Pete Helme) writes:

->The desktop file is obsolete.  Apple now endorses the use of the Desktop
->Manager INIT for non-AppleShare Macs.

>uh... it is?  we do?

>Pete Helme
>MacDTS
>Apple Computer

Yes, it is.  No, you don't -- and for the life of me I can't figure out why.
Try explaining to someone with 2500+ files on his disk just why it is that
Apple still wants to pretend that Desktop Manager shouldn't be used.

No one wants to use the release Multifinder, either, when they see 6.1b9 on
my machine.  They don't understand when I tell them that "6.1 is for the
important developer folks -- ordinary people aren't allowed to 'set aside'".

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

pvh@Apple.COM (Pete Helme) (05/04/90)

Just because some 'tech weenie' in DTS uses the desktop manager for a sick
hack in a goofy file transfer program doesn't mean that Apple Product Marketing
has sanctioned it's use.  Guido, the maintenance guy who is on the same floor
as product marketing said it's OK to use though.

After taking your advice and reading the Oscar docs I remembered that I'm
the 'tech weenie' that wrote it.  So I should know. :-)

Pete Helme
DTS
Apple Computer

0nly 3 donuts left...

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (05/04/90)

In article <1990May3.152937.18778@caen.engin.umich.edu>
billkatt@mondo.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) writes:
> Yes, you do, at least DTS does.  DM is distributed with Oscar, DTS's
goofy
> but useful file transfer utility.  Read the dox that come with it for
more info.

> -Steve Bollinger

Your interpretation of when DTS "endorses" or "supports" something is
awfully broad!

Oscar is a "skanky hack," as I believe the author would put it (Pete, care
to comment)?  Useful, yes.  I believe the reason that the Desktop Manager
is included is to work around some weirdness with Oscar not putting folder
contents inside the folder when it transfers them without it.  Why does
Oscar misbehave (sometimes) without the Desktop Manager?  Good question.
I'm sure if Pete knew, he'd fix it and pitch the Desktop Manager precisely
because it is unsupported (for now; it'll be supported under System 7.0).

                                Paul Snively
                      Macintosh Developer Technical Support
                             Apple Computer, Inc.

1st Choice: Paul_Snively.DTS@gateway.qm.apple.com
2nd Choice: CHEWBACCA@applelink.apple.com
Last Choice: chewy@apple.com

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that I believe
what they believe, or vice-versa.

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (05/05/90)

In article <1990May3.173024.437@Neon.Stanford.EDU>
kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) writes:
> In article <40699@apple.Apple.COM> pvh@Apple.COM (Pete Helme) writes:
>
> ->The desktop file is obsolete.  Apple now endorses the use of the
Desktop
> ->Manager INIT for non-AppleShare Macs.
>
> >uh... it is?  we do?
>
> >Pete Helme
> >MacDTS
> >Apple Computer
>
> Yes, it is.

No, it isn't--there are far more Macintoshes out there with active Desktop
files than are running with the Desktop Manager, and there are a
significant number of utilities that rely on that Desktop file (which
brings us to)...

> No, you don't -- and for the life of me I can't figure out why.
> Try explaining to someone with 2500+ files on his disk just why it is
that
> Apple still wants to pretend that Desktop Manager shouldn't be used.

A good point, but not that tough to explain: there are several versions of
the Finder, for example, still extant that know nothing about the Desktop
Manager and don't work properly with it.  To add insult to injury, a lot
of disk-related utilities don't know about the Desktop Manager either (as
has been pointed out here, it's hard to search the "desktop" for APPL
resources when the Desktop Manager doesn't even use resource files).

We will, of course, make the transition to the use of the Desktop
Manager--as of System 7.0, in fact.  But for developers of desktop-related
utilities, it will be a transition rather than an instantaneous event, as
they rev their software, and people should be aware of that.

> No one wants to use the release Multifinder, either, when they see 6.1b9
on
> my machine.  They don't understand when I tell them that "6.1 is for the
> important developer folks -- ordinary people aren't allowed to 'set
aside'".

The assumption here is that 6.1b9 is a supported release of MultiFinder.
It isn't.  It has some nifty features (specifically a simple IPC
mechanism, and Set Aside) and it has a few problems (I believe that the
desktop redrawing bug is still there, and I know that the SADE
MultiFinders don't properly register their OS information with Gestalt,
making Gestalt's 'os  ' selector useless under System 6.0.4 and 6.0.5 if
any of the 6.1 MultiFinders are running).  In any event, no further
development is being done on MultiFinder 6.1 because it is being
completely superseded by System 7.0.  And yes, that includes Set Aside.